Smelly plates from dishwasher

Sponsored Links
the drainage looks OK.

You have taken out both the filters from the bottom of the machine, and cleaned them, haven't you?

and cleaned the concealed ridge at the bottom of the door?

Any sign of resident food particles in the spinner arms?

Now that the drains have been kicked into touch this is starting to sound more and more like the slow demise of my own unlamented dishwasher (see post below from last week about insufficient water).
What had happened was that gunk built up in a horizontal pipe that runs between the sump of the machine and the system that regulates the water flow around the machine. Although I'd used all sorts of diswasher cleaners on it they'd clearly had little or no effect. I even tried caustic soda a couple of times. This improved things for a while but seemed a bit drastic as a long term solution (no pun intended).
When I finally gave up, bought a new machine and worked out how to open up the old one the gunk was obvious. It's a sort of mixture of dead food and what looks like limescale, which was unexpected, because the water is pretty soft in our area.
If your smell is a result of reduced waterflow through the machine it might be worth taking a look at this pipe (and maybe other bits of the waterflow controls).
To open the machine, if it's like my old one, you need to give the lid a smart smack in the middle of the front to push it backwards about half an inch. It will then lift off. Remove the 2 screws on the front edge of the left hand panel and ease it off. You should be able to see the pipe (like a small elephant's trunk) attached to the water controls on the bottom r/h side and disappearing under the machine towards the centre. The pipe on mine was probably 90% blocked. If I'd had the confidence to do it earlier I'd like to have tried cleaning this pipe out to see if it would have made a difference because all the other controls I tested were fine (microswitches, solenoids, etc). It would be quite easy to disconnect the control end of the pipe - it's a push fit - and push the gunk though to the sump where it can be shovelled out. The pipe connects to the side wall of the sump, though you can't see this from ouside, not the visible outlet on the floor of the sump.
Good luck and wear gloves!

CM1 thanks for the idea, can you clarify exactly where the panel you refer to is, just so i can be sure when i start to look at it.

JohnD, all filters clean, spinning arms have been steam cleaned. Will ask the Mrs about the seal at bottom of door but think she has checked all that???

Sponsored Links
Hi again. If you stand looking at the front of the machine the panel I'm talking about is the whole of the left hand side. Once you've removed the top (a light smack with a rubber mallet works well) all you need to do is remove the 2 'T20' Torx screws that hold the flange on the front edge of the panel to the body of the machine. Open the door of the machine and look down the L/H edge of the body - you'll see the screws half concealed by the outer door seal. If you don't have a T20 screwdriver an allen key the right size will work, or even a flat ended screwdriver if it's an exact fit across the points of the stars. You can pick up cheap sets of Torx drivers or bits at local markets with a decent tool stall. Watch out also for the plastic 'pips' that hold the back edge of the panel in place. You'll need to gently spring it off these.
Happy hunting..

AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!! Tried what was suggested took the thing to bits, pulled off said hose, clean as a whistle!!! While it was apart physically checked everything that was within arms reach......nothing!! So now sitting here yet again scratching my head :cry: ! Just about tried everything now yet the smell persists, had a plumber around and he said he thought it was the dishwasher. Thinking of changing it but have heard horror stories about people that have done this only for the smell to re-appear.....what to do????

Hmm.... I assume you looked at all the other watery bits in the L/H side. Some of mine were a bit mouldy looking, but not enough to stop the machine working.
OK - final suggestion - If you've got a garden tap lug the machine outside (now you've had the cover off you know why they're so heavy!) and do a wash with a cleaning tablet. You can put the drain hose into a plastic crate and see what comes out. Because the hose has a fair horizontal run it tends to gunge up at the machine end. Mine was full of orange crud that washed out when I did a "garden cycle". If your machine still pongs after this I don't know where the source can be hiding. - it sounds cleaner than the average NHS hospital.
If it's any comfort I've goy a W/M that always smells of wet cardboard despite me putting numerous boxes of soda and hot washes through it.
Yours in sympathy,

Right...........Had dishwasher apart again, had another look at all the water inlet pipes on left hand side. Water from external source goes into what can only be described as a plastic box on upper left hand external wall, this in turn goes via a rubber hose into the dishwasher salt container which in turn goes back to the plastic box to be dispensed into the dishwasher via the outlet (inside machine). Took the latter tube off some gunk in it, washed it out (could this be it? Surely unlikely though) and placed it back on. The box itself looks scaled up and somewhat 'gunky', does this box come off? But how would i clean it, its sealed! Also my wife is concerned by what seem to be yellow coloured crystals in a resevoir linked to the salt chamber, i am sure that it is there just to filter out the salt crystals from the water, am i right? or if not what is it? :confused:

crystals are yellow, just put a bottle of white vinegar in the dishwasher on hot washes try it 3 times ,that will clean it out .

the orange crystals are the water softener resin.

Ok guys an update to where we are now. We think we have linked the problems to a smell in the water from the cold tap which in turn is exaggerated by the dishwasher drying cycle (as this is cold fill). Dishwasher was stripped down and cleaned, waste pipes (that i could dismantle) removed cleaned and put back, all leads to washing machine and dishwasher replaced, vast amounts of sink and plughole cleaners used plus dishwasher cleaners probably used everything on market........so the other day i took a sample of water from my outside tap which has a hose attached to it, took sample from hose end...it had a funny smell to it not quite what we experiencing but definately a weird smell. The tap is directly outside where the sink is situated so i turned the water off that leads to the outside tap, this is situated under the sink....and....it has ..we hope gone and where we used to get the smell coming up from the sink that seems to have also disappeared, could this have been the source of our problems? Or is that highly unlikely? It seems strange that the smell has improved since doing this..any thoughts??? :confused:

it should not happen... but could dirty water be coming up the hosepipe?

take the hose off

the outside tap should have a non-return valve on it

have you got a shower pump or anything sucking on the cold water pipe?

I'm sure that it does not have a non return valve on it as it has the same as the dishwasher and washing machine which either allows it to be turned on or isolated (turned off) using a screwdriver. we have a power shower located on the second floor but thats all!!!

We have disconnected hose pipe and isolated the water from there under the sink.

That i'm not sure about, this is a new built home and the power shower was already in when we moved. i will try to find out, could that cause problems? By the way JohnD thanks for your help so far its much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back