Smelly sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help. No matter how much bleach I put down my sink it still stinks.

The sink has a u-bend as expected which feeds directly into the drain (no gulley etc).

Is there some sort of special cleaner you can get to sort it out or is taking of the u bends and cleaning them the best bet?

Ta

D

Sponsored Links
the bleach may be missing something, take it apart and clean it. BUT not in the same sink

breezer said:
the bleach may be missing something, take it apart and clean it. BUT not in the same sink

aww, thats the sort of thing you learn the hard way!

easiest thing might be to replace all the old crappy pipework with new PVC pipe and fittings. Then use bleach regularly so nothing will stick.

I'd be up for that but they are only months old (new kitchen fitted into an extension 6 months ago) .... I'm wondering if it is a more serious issue?

Sponsored Links
since the u bend is full of water from last time sink was emptied it should stop all smells, i would still take pipes apart and clean, its easy , cheap, and eliminates from suspicion

My mother had the same problem recently. I Sorted it out by squirtiing a bleach solution down the overflow. This part of the plumbing is quite often overlooked.

Yes old people do seem to have problems using the toilet as they get older, might be better to get a commode, saves trying to get the big lumps through the grid in the plughole.

Disconnect your trap and clean out.
Remove the sink hole assembly and the overflow. Thoroughly clean out black plastic overflow pipe by attaching it to a basin tap. You will be amazed at what comes out.

Reassemble and do not let anybody dump in the sink in future. :LOL:

a f***y valve would be an idea, especially if something is pulling the water out of the u bend. might also help if someone is dumping in it. :LOL:

Are yes, but are you corgi registered, if not you may blow the whole F****** street up!!

Try putting a couple of drops of tee trea oil down the plug hole and down the over flow too.

I know aromatherapy isn't the usual solution but my bathroom basin kept smelling even after all the usual under-sink clear outs. In the end I reckoned it must be the liquid soap I was using which was breeding smelly bacteria in the trap, because when I put two drops of tea tree oil it didn't smell again for several months. Easy maintenence, eh?

You can get tea tree oil from Boots or any decent health food shop.

I had this problem.

Turned out the previous owner of my house had messed with the waste, so the trap was between the washing machine waste and the soil, and there was no trap between the sink and soil...

I thought it smelled a bit funny.

Unlikely to be your problem though, nobody else in the world could have the same unique DIY "abilities" this guy had

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back