Smiths ss5 plinth heater not getting hot water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our old plinth heater stopped blowing hot air so as we got a new kitchen we plumped for a new smiths ss5 plinth heater, the heater works on cold but the supply pipes are not getting hot.
I have turned all the rads off and hoped it would force the hot water through to the heater but it didn’t work, the 2pipes that supply the heater in the next room are warm at the top turning cold as you move along the pipes. I thought if I put the heater over a large bowl and open the bleed screw on the heater it would eventually start to run hot which it did, so I locked up the. Bleed screw and left it for 20 mins but rather than the heater bursting into life the pipes just went cold again.
Any advice please

Sponsored Links
i would guess one of the flexible hoses is blocked. i bet when the heater was changed, the old hoses weren’t

remove them and fit the new ones that would have been supplied with the new heater

Sponsored Links
New braided flexible hoses have been used.

Some of the braided hoses have small service valves on them to allow the plynth heater to be removed for servicing without draining, if your have these make sure they are open, some pics of what you have would help

Thanks all. They had used the old flexible connections instead of the new ones that came with the heater, I swopped them and found old ones were blocked. Which is probably why we thought the old heater was broken. With new flexible pipes it’s working now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back