Plinth Heater Smiths SS5 MK4

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I hope someone can help/advice me.

I have recently discovered a plinth heater (Smiths SS5 MK4) in the kitchen.

I have recently moved to the property so I am still discovering things!
I feel silly, as I have been cold all those month without knowing about it....

Anyway, the heater does not work (I think), as there is no heat output.
Does anyway know what the possible reasons for this might be?
Will be thankful for any info.

Many thanks, Aggie

P.S. I have been on Smith's website and managed to download the quides.

Sponsored Links
There could be various reasons for the unit not working. Electrical supply, fan failure,low temp thermostat failure. Needs to be pulled out to check.

As stated, could be a few things.
Does the fan blow cold air, or not blow air at all? (The heater will not start the fan unless the water in it is hot).
Does the fan start when the top button is set to 'fan only' (blue)?
Can you see a switch, or a fused connection unit to which unit is connected?
If the central heating is on, do the pipes connected to the rear of the heater get warm? (The fan will not start unless the water in the unit is hot, and the thermostat is working correctly).

Hi,

Thank you for your replies.

Does the fan blow cold air, or not blow air at all? (The heater will not start the fan unless the water in it is hot) Does the fan start when the top button is set to 'fan only' (blue)?
The fan does blow cold air only

Can you see a switch, or a fused connection unit to which unit is connected?
Yes, I can see the fused connection. It is installed/located in a loog positon (as recommended on the installation quide). I have replaced the fuse as well. It was 13A and I replaced it with 3A (as the installation quide suggested).

If the central heating is on, do the pipes connected to the rear of the heater get warm? (The fan will not start unless the water in the unit is hot, and the thermostat is working correctly).
I have not checked that yet. But I am in the process of doing so... I have just turned all radiators off and put the heating on to see if it works. Will keep you post it.

How long does it normally take for the plinth heater to get worm?

Many thanks for your help so far. It is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

Do the pipes connected to the heater have to be hot for the heater to work?

I am asking, as I have the CH on, other radiators OFF in the house and the heater doea not seem to start off (the pipes are warm NOT hot).

There are several versions of this heater. One is fed by the water from the radiator circuit only and another has electric elements too. If the instructions for yours say 3A fuse, then the heat is only provided by the heating system and yes, the pipes must be hot.

There is a 'bleed' facility on the heater pipe (top right hand corner) when viewed from the front, if the pipes aren't hot when your radiators are on, then it may simply need bleeding, the same as a radiator, especially if you have drained the system and didn't bleed the plinth heater when it was refilled. If the pipes are warm then it suggests that some water is flowing, but not enough, they should be too hot to hold. Can the isolation valves be opened a little more?

Thank you for the reply.

I will bleed it today.

Where do I find the isolation valves and how can I open them?

Hi,

I have just maneged to bleed it.
The water was cristal clear and it was coming out warm (ish) not hot despite the fact that the CH has been on for several hours now :(

Has it ever worked?

Are the iso valves fully open?

Are BOTH pipes warm?

Tony

Hi Tony,

Thank you for your reply.

Has it ever worked?
I do not know, as I moved in to the property at the end of November 2012 and just recently found the heater out.
I was not familiar with it before, so did not know what it was at first.

Are the iso valves fully open?
which valves do you mean?
Where do I find them?

Are BOTH pipes warm?
As far as I can tell only one is warm (the top one).

Regarding the fuse.
Why would the previous owner put 13A if the instruction says 3A?
Sorry if this is a daft question, but I would like to lean these things....

Aggie

There are usually flexible hoses connecting the heater to the central heating pipes. Usually, there are isolating valves where the flexible hoses join the central heating pipework.
They may look like these
ae235
ae235
ae235

or they may not be present at all.
If they are present, they need to fully open (slot/handle in-line with the pipe as in the pics).

If they are both fully open, and one pipe only is getting warm but not hot, it's looking like a blockage in the heater.

Regarding the fuse.
Probably because that's all they had, or a 3A fuse blew so they stuck a bigger one in....

Ok, I have just checked...

I have the first iso valves from the picture above and they are opened (as shown on the picture).

Assuming there is a blockage...how can I solve it?

Hi Tony,

Regarding the fuse.

Aggie

Home owners can be very silly.

Many dont even know what the figures on fuses are there for!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back