Smoke alarms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. can i run something by you

I'm considering smoke alarms. Just wanted to check something out. At the electrical shop today the bloke behind the counter states that you have to come out of the consumer unit with 1mm T & E to the first smoke detector and then from the first one to the second smoke detector and all subsequent smoke detectors you should use 1mm 3 Core and Earth. Does this sound right. I take it that a 6 MCB way in the consumer is right.

Thanks in adavnce

Sponsored Links
not true at all.

it depends on make of detector, the 3 core and earth, is to supply the detecors (and earth, but how you earth a plastic detector) the 3rd core is to inter connect them so that if one goes off they all go off

6A mcb is correct

all that said, you can wire each one individualy (if it has a back up battery) to the nearest light

in short depends on make of detector

Thanks breezer.

I think i would prefer it to be on it's own MCB non RCD. So here goes.

CU-----(1mm T & E)-------O=====(3 Core & E)=====O======O

It's the stage between connecting the cable to the detector and then start using the 3 core that i get confused on

Sponsored Links
andemz said:
It's the stage between connecting the cable to the detector and then start using the 3 core that i get confused on

why?

as your drawing shows, L & N to first, L, N, SW L* to 2nd etc

* it may not be switched live, but a "signal"

breezer said:
as your drawing shows, L & N to first, L, N, SW L* to 2nd etc

* it may not be switched live, but a "signal"

This is as much about learning as anything elese breezer can you talk me through it.

1mm T & E Brown= (Live) Blue= (Neutral) Earth =Earth. They would connect to 3 core and Earth.

Would it be possible for you to show how this then is connected from T & E to 3 Core.... :rolleyes:

andemz said:
Would it be possible for you to show how this then is connected from T & E to 3 Core.... :rolleyes:

wait untill you have detectors, its nice of you to ask, but you are worrying too much

twin to first detector, 3c & e to 2nd etc

3rd core will connect to ? terminal on each detector ONLY

andemz said:
I think i would prefer it to be on it's own MCB non RCD.
The point about it being on a lighting circuit is that if the MCB trips, you know abut it PDQ, and will sort it out immediately, rather than live in darkness.

If the smokes are on a separate MCB, that could trip and you might not notice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back