Smoke!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't, I used to mind, gave up about 7 months ago, doctors orders, or rather surgeons orders after slicing my tendon with a stanley knife :oops: I do miss it though, at times, especially when I am stressed, anyway this isn't my point. I live in a terrace house in the middle of the row, my neighbour smokes like a chimney, however, I can often smell the smoke from his smokes in our bathroom, anybody know how this happens? :eek:

Sponsored Links
Probably holes in the wall where the joists sit.

Are the party walls continuous right up to the roof? (i.e. up all the way through the loft?

Possible that there may be no wall, or if there is, there may be some small holes in it

Sponsored Links
if you have an extractor fan, it might be sucking the smoke through

Take up some floorboards, there are often cracks and gaps in the mortar, and where they are out of sight under the floor they are not plastered over or repaired. Or loose joists like joe says

You can mortar them up, or use an expanding foam filler.

Now you don't smoke, your sensitive nose will help you track down the disgusting odour :LOL:

p.s. I once had a rented flat above an unfortunate person with very bad b.o.

if you have an extractor fan, it might be sucking the smoke through

If the door to the room is a near air tight fit then consider an air vent in the door or elsewhere to allow air into the room from you house. That should reduce the suction of smoke smell through the party wall.

I don't, I used to mind, gave up about 7 months ago, doctors orders, or rather surgeons orders after slicing my tendon with a stanley knife :oops: I do miss it though, at times, especially when I am stressed, anyway this isn't my point. I live in a terrace house in the middle of the row, my neighbour smokes like a chimney, however, I can often smell the smoke from his smokes in our bathroom, anybody know how this happens? :eek:

I dont know if I'm alone, but as an ex-smoker I can walk out of my front door and immediatly sense that a neighbour 5 houses away, is out in his garden having a puff. Likewise, if I exit the back door, I can smell the cigarette smoke from another neighbour 20 yards away. Clearly, if the wind is blowing the smoke in the opposite direction I wouldn't know if either neighbour is out smoking.

However, like chirpy chippy, I also miss the weed and believe that if the smoke is in the air then my suppressed craving, (or my sense of smell), will detect it. Having said that, since I shower at around 6am, I never smell the 'smokes' in our bathroom.

Non-smokers can also smell it. It is vile.

the only reason ex-smokers comment on the smell is that for many years they have been unaware of how much they stink. In much the same way as a garlic-eater doesn't notice the smell on his breath.

the only reason ex-smokers comment on the smell is that for many years they have been unaware of how much they stink. In much the same way as a garlic-eater doesn't notice the smell on his breath.

That may be so JohnD but I can tell you that over the years, I cant remember a single potential snog, who said words to the effect that "OH no, you smoke and you stink, I'll go home with someone else". Not one girl and there has been a fair few, has ever raised that objection.

do you read the Sun? :D

Why can't a smoker just 'smell' rather than 'stink'.

That may be so JohnD but I can tell you that over the years, I cant remember a single potential snog, who said words to the effect that "OH no, you smoke and you stink, I'll go home with someone else". Not one girl and there has been a fair few, has ever raised that objection.
That's maybe because they don't want to embarrass you!

That's maybe because they don't want to embarrass you!

Have you ever taken someone home and perhaps had it off with them because you didn't want to embarrass them by saying get lost. If what you say is true then let me add this: I have never ever been turned down by a girl I've asked out and have ALWAYS made the decision to call a halt to a relationship. There must be an awful lot of women out there who didn't want to embarrass me!

plenty of women with low standards :LOL:

_40192142_slags203.jpg

Sponsored Links
Back