So, Government cuts...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Browsing the website of the Hull Daily Mail, I came across an article about residents of a village rejecting an art sculpture & opting for a new bus shelter instead.

All very interesting I'm sure you'll agree, but read further and we find out more about the arts project. It's a £230k project to place TEN artworks along the 79-mile long Yorkshire Wolds Way, which stretches from the River Humber to somewhere near Filey. £80k is coming from Arts Council England, with the remaining £150k coming from the Leader Programme, which apparently manages European & UK funds. Call me cynical, but 10 artworks for £230k? That's £23k a piece to place some artwork in rural locations.

The £80k comes from lottery grants, whereas the £150k comes from the European Agricultural Fund. Not directly from the Government, but ultimately the money we've paid to the EAF is now being spent in the way it is. Methinks we're cutting in the wrong areas! :eek:

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I reckon the new bus shelter is odds on to win next years Turner Arts prize. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Back