So I have bats in my attic

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
So I have bats in my attic - this isn't news to me, I have known since I moved into this fixer upper that they are up there. We live near lots of woods and a forest park, so I presume the two things are related in some way. I have been ignoring them - mostly leaving them alone.

However turns out they are getting into the attic space through a gap above the door. One of them missed the gap recently and ended up in the house. Which caused quiet a bit of excitement.

So I really need to move them, and it probably best to move them before we do more substantial work on the house - extensions and the like. I intend to build a couple of bat boxes at gable end of the house as a new home, how exactly do encourage a relocation?

Ray K

Sponsored Links
Beware, bats have more rights to their 'roost' than you do. There are really punitive consequences for anyone who interferes with them.
We nearly were prevented from continuing a restoration once the Bat Inspector stuck his oar in. It was only that we had been living with the bats for a number of years before we commenced work that saved us, as it was we had to considerably adapt our plans to accommodate them.
If I were you I'd just get on with the work and act surprised if anyone mentions the bats.
If you leave the eaves 'open' in a few places they'll find their way in and out, the actually crawl into the tiniest of cracks and have more than one roost anyway.
We found it best to avoid tilt type opening windows a many a time we found them hanging on the bottom of the duvet.
Keeps the mozzies under control mind

Beware, bats have more rights to their 'roost' than you do. There are really punitive consequences for anyone who interferes with them.

So while they are strictly protected by law here (Ireland) also.
I haven't heard the councils are worried about it to same extend.
That said I won't be inviting any questions from them ...

If I were you I'd just get on with the work and act surprised if anyone mentions the bats.

ROTFL

They don't bother me greatly - live and let live etc.

Thanks for the tip - my plan is to build a bat box or two, so that when the work kicks off.
They will have an obvious safe alternative nearby.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back