So much choice... I just don't know??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

I'm getting ever closer to starting my renovation project in the local scout and guide hut.

As advised, I'm going for 25mm ply directly onto the floor joists with additional noggins supports etc.

The walls will be plaster on plasterboard. Most of the tiles are ceramic, with the exception of a border of glass mosaic tiles, and the same glass mosaics on the ply topped vanity unit and splashback.

Quick question:

Which adhesives do I need to purchase?

My local supplier keeps dunlop in as stock. Is that good gear?

I read alot about BAL adhesive. Is this the stuff I really ought to aspire towards?

Sponsored Links
My local supplier keeps dunlop in as stock. Is that good gear?
I read alot about BAL adhesive. Is this the stuff I really ought to aspire towards?
I always use BAL but they are now owned by Dunlop so same company & shouldn’t be much if any difference but I don’t know how they compare on price.

Being a Scout hut, I’d go with Moisture Resistant PB rather than ordinary wall board (cost difference is negligible) & rather than plaster, tile straight onto it but if there are any untilled areas, it must be primed first before plastering. The ply topped (hope it's WBP?) vanitity unit & splashback may also need sealing depending on which adesive is used & tank any "wet" areas.

my opinon on dunlop is it is fantastic for tyres... nothing else!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies chaps.

I don't think I'll take the risk with dunlop, and stick with BAL (stick with - adhesive. Geddit? :LOL: )

Being a Scout hut, I’d go with Moisture Resistant PB rather than ordinary wall board (cost difference is negligible) & rather than plaster, tile straight onto it but if there are any untilled areas, it must be primed first before plastering.

What sort of primer would I need? The walls will only be tiled to 1000mm above FFL, with the remaining being plastered and painted.

The ply topped (hope it's WBP?) vanitity unit & splashback may also need sealing depending on which adesive is used & tank any "wet" areas.

Yeah, forgot to mention it's going to be either 18mm or 25mm WBP ply, but I've not decided yet.

I'm not sure what you consider to be a wet area, but the basins are only for hand washing. I thought about maybe fitting the vanity unit slightly off level so any water which does get splashed onto the vanity top drains off it.

I presume normal waterproof wall tile ahesive would be ok for this, or do you think it would need sealing / tanking?

If so, could you advise me which products would be suitable for this.

Thanks very much :D

unless you think its going to be under water a lot of the time tanking isnt neccessary.

What sort of primer would I need? The walls will only be tiled to 1000mm above FFL, with the remaining being plastered and painted.
http://www.british-gypsum.com/produ...le_plaster_bonding_agents/thistlebond-it.aspx

Yeah, forgot to mention it's going to be either 18mm or 25mm WBP ply, but I've not decided yet.
I'm not sure what you consider to be a wet area, but the basins are only for hand washing. I thought about maybe fitting the vanity unit slightly off level so any water which does get splashed onto the vanity top drains off it. I presume normal waterproof wall tile ahesive would be ok for this, or do you think it would need sealing / tanking?

Unless the kids are going to dance on it, I would have thought 18mm would have been plenty thick enough. Wet areas would be either a wet room, inside a shower cubicle or the areas immediately behind a bath. For the vanity units, tanking shouldn’t be required but you should seal the underside of the ply with an SBR sealant (see below).

If so, could you advise me which products would be suitable for this.
I tend to use BAL exclusively but there are other trade products around that are just as good but avoid the DIY shed cheapo stuff at all costs.

For the vanity units something like this;
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/white-star
& this for the grout;
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/microflex

For the floor:
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/rapidset-flexible
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/superflex-wide-joint

When using WBP ply as a tile base BAL recommends an SBR sealer is applied to back & exposed edges of the ply to prevent moisture absorption which could cause the ply to warp; not so critical in a domestic environment but prudent I would think in a Scout hut.

Thanks very much. Thats possibly the most informative post I've ever read on these forums. You're a true gent :D

Thanks also to jefoss. You're a nice man too. :D

Well thank you & you’re very welcome; it’s nice that a person’s efforts are appreciated from time to time which, as a regular contributor, I’m sure you’re very aware. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back