So Sad

Sponsored Links
You did the link already.

This is the telling bit from the article:

"Mr Rough, a retired handyman (who) has no formal qualifications in electrical work, "

Rough is as rough does.

How unpleasant.

The disposal of plugs and old fittings should always be done safely.

Sounds like the guy replaced the lead, fitted the oven and left the old plug and cable lying around. The toddler picked it up and went off to his room, plugged it in and then made the cable fatally live.

I feel sorry for all parties in this, the loss of a very young life and I would imagine the handyman would be distort with guilt and grief.

RIP wee' man- and sincere condolences to your family, a terrible tragic event.

Misadventure I would say, and a burden of guilt to live with for the guys who accidentally became part responsible for the boys death.

The socket the lad plugged the plug / lead in to shouldn't have been accessible, a baby plug lock / cap would have prevented access.

When I do rewires and families with young one occupy I throw in a bag or two of these. They cost s0d all and do the job.

TLPB.JPG

The guy that help him fit the Oven was called Simon Burns, not sure i'd like to cook on that stove :mad:

Sponsored Links
The socket the lad plugged the plug / lead in to shouldn't have been accessible, a baby plug lock / cap would have prevented access.

When I do rewires and families with young one occupy I throw in a bag or two of these. They cost s0d all and do the job.

TLPB.JPG

Ahh, so instead of mangled plugs which shouldn't be around, they can insert a common paperclip instead.

Advice to both DIYers and Professionals:-

If the needs arises to cut off a moulded plug then remove the fuse (which is handy to keep anyway) and also use your snips/pliers to bend the pins so that there is no way it can be inserted into a socket outlet by anyone.
For rewirable plugtops, disconnect the flex - do not cut unless necessary and even then disconnect from the plugtop straight away.

Chris,

If you have any of those bags of dangerous plastic things left,

please do not throw them in the bin!!! someone else may pick them up thinking they might be useful

start a small fire, throw them all in until they melt beyond use ;)

Chris,

please do not throw them in the bin!!! someone else may pick them up thinking they might be useful

Given the choice between no socket protection in a young toddlers room and the product I have (or had) been promoting, what would you choose ?

I used them in my children's room when they were small, and they work well. Removing them requires some effort and there's no way a sub 8 yo child could access the live pin and push a paper clip in.

Any socket with a earth shutter cover for the LN can easily be bypassed with a fine point object such as a paper clip. So I fail to understand how a cover blank for a socket does anything other than make the socket safer.

I'm all ears- please offer your learner-ed advice- simply putting a produce down without an objective more detailed reason is a bit slack.

I haven't tried it but apparently they can be plugged in upside-down, thus leaving the live shutters open, assuming it could be removed in the first place ???

a_Exposed.gif

Model2detail.jpg

Model4probe.jpg

Most of these designs are fatally flawed and serve little or no purpose. Unless you leave cut-off plugs laying around the place.

Absolutly tragic, this should never have happened, as a matter or course I always mangly the pins on moulded plugs when I remove them. I dont know if I could live with myself if I had caused such an incident. One moment of carlessless has ruined many lives :(

Chris,

Given the choice between no socket protection in a young toddlers room and the product I have (or had) been promoting, what would you choose ?
If you have 'no' socket protection, assuming use of BS1363 sockets, then i would replace the damaged socket that is offering no protection. I would not use a plastic insert.
I used them in my children's room when they were small, and they work well. Removing them requires some effort
Really? Take a look at this (please do, its only a few seconds long) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c82O8bI6u0c
and there's no way a sub 8 yo child could access the live pin and push a paper clip in.

Any socket with a earth shutter cover for the LN can easily be bypassed with a fine point object such as a paper clip.
You haven't actually tried that have you? I think its not as easy as you imagine it is. I hope JohnW2 turns up soon, I feel sure he could fill you in on the details of BS1363, almost at a molecular level. :) He may know if there is anything set out about the size of the shutter actuator in the earth recepticle and possibly any minimum level of force required to open the shutters
So I fail to understand how a cover blank for a socket does anything other than make the socket safer.
At the time of writing this response, a few others have given you the link to a decent website on the subject, but just incase you scanned past them, here it is:-
http://www.fatallyflawed.org.uk/

If you'd prefer to sit back and watch a video instead, try this:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-WhFgaqCX0[quote]

I'm all ears- please offer your learner-ed advice- simply putting a produce down without an objective more detailed reason is a bit slack.[/QUOTE]

Chris, i not trying to be rude but it just so happens that i do believe that at best, they can easily be removed anyway, so are a waste of time (re, first video). Or, at worse, they could be just as dangerous as the website, engineers and doctors believe they are. Either way round, you've still spent your money on them!

Girlfriends parents house has these in sockets in kids bedrooms, ive never been able to get the bloody things out easily...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back