So what do I expect to find in this cutout & having an isolator fitted

Sponsored Links
Even the after picture is making my eyes bleed :eek:
Isn't it a work of abstract art :mrgreen: Of course I have no intention of moving the isolator and shortening the meter tails to it :whistle: Would have been better if he'd left the meter where it was.
That doesn't look so bad, just needs the trunking lids back on.
I rather presume that this 'contractor' ... was working on behalf of the 'supplier', but I was under the impression that no-one other than the DNO themselves were 'allowed' to touch a metal service head? Is that not the case?
TBH I have no idea who he was working for - supplier or DNO.
I'm surprised they are prepared to do any work on a metal cutout with uninsulated and not isolable live parts with no IP rating when the cover is open.
Id have thought it'd be a two person team job and probably to replace it
It's OK, he used all the safety gear :whistle: Yes, when he'd pulled the fuse out he put a red plastic plug in the live side to prevent inadvertent contact.
Technically the meter fitters report should get passed along to the DNO but in reality, that may not happen for weeks, if at all.
We shall see if anything happens.

That doesn't look so bad, just needs the trunking lids back on.
One photo does not do it justice. You gotta look closely to fully appreciate it, but there's henley blocks throughout the trunking, no hint of grommet strip or paxolin anywhere, that isolator doesn't shut. Oh and of course there's no lid to put back on. We put a quote in to rectify it but you can imagine the response!
IMG_0026.jpgIMG_0028.jpgIMG_0030.jpg

It's OK, he used all the safety gear :whistle: Yes, when he'd pulled the fuse out he put a red plastic plug in the live side to prevent inadvertent contact.
What did he do about the 30mm of bare copper showing underneath the fuse carrier from the PILC? The fuse carrier would be the least of my concern?

And where the hell did he even find that isolator? It's an MEM enclosure (or rip off of), with some other isolator in it. MEM haven't made that isolator for a long time. It's usually Wylex or Proteus now

Sponsored Links
Not poke his finger in the gap :ROFLMAO:
I had noticed the bare live copper there.

When I zoomed right in on the photo, I did notice a screw (I assume a "lost" terminal screw) lying around on top of the pitch. I just left it there.

I don't think I'd be remotely concerned about the tiny bit of copper showing in the fuseholder compared to that massive amount of cable.

Get some tape round it, it'll be 'reet

You lucky b*stard. My local wholesalers just ask why anyone would want to use it :rolleyes: Have to buy it online when I get to that point.
It is 6181Y but it's 20 strand not 7. Used some today and double checked the strands and the markings. Makes it MUCH easier to work with than the 7 strand stuff.

And where the hell did he even find that isolator? It's an MEM enclosure (or rip off of), with some other isolator in it. MEM haven't made that isolator for a long time. It's usually Wylex or Proteus now
Didn't notice this earlier. The isolator is EATON branded (EMS1001N), dunno about the enclosure but the whole thing came assembled in one box - and with a removable plate for access to the outgoing side terminals only (so I assume the enclosure is made specifically for that application).
It is 6181Y but it's 20 strand not 7. Used some today and double checked the strands and the markings. Makes it MUCH easier to work with than the 7 strand stuff.
Interesting. But then leads onto the obvious question .... where on earth can one buy it, given that no-one seems to mention how many strands there are in the cable they are selling :rolleyes: I suppose it's a bit like the mythical stranded 2.5mm² T&E I've occasionally seen mention of :whistle:

Oh yes, I found that I have a 60A main fuse - so that "unprotected" submain isn't as unprotected as I'd feared.
And with a 60A fuse in a cutout labelled as 60A, why use 25mm² tails - apart from "that's all we use these days" :whistle:

Tri rated is not fun to work with!

Had to use some on a 3P+N supply that had to be extended because some idiot in a scissor lift had driven into an outdoor enclosure fed in 75mm² SWA and the only DI cable the wholesalers could get us in that size was Tri Rated. It's a pig to strip and it's a pig to terminate. You wanna use ferrules ideally but my ferrule crimpers certainly don't go that high. A pin lug I suppose would work but it's still all extra effort.

Plus, it doesn't stay how you bend it either

Didn't notice this earlier. The isolator is EATON branded (EMS1001N), dunno about the enclosure but the whole thing came assembled in one box - and with a removable plate for access to the outgoing side terminals only (so I assume the enclosure is made specifically for that application)
Now that you've said it's eaton I can see that it is. They must just be using the same moulding as the old MEM one, which would make sense. It's a cheap as chips enclosure to make, all plastic (and tbh, a bit crap)

As to where you can get it from, not sure. I'll check tomorrow see if it has a manufacturer stamp on it. It's not Doncaster because I just checked their website and they specify 7 strands. A lot don't seem to specify how many strands. And the best bit is (IMO) it's blue/brown outer sheath too, which is why we started buying it in the first place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back