Soakaway drainage on patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a concrete patio that I am considering paving over without removing. It is a very firm base and hasn't moved/cracked for years. The problem I have is this

In the middle of the concrete patio is a soakaway. How do I factor for that in the new paved patio? Do I just extend the existing soakaway? Are there any shallow drainage channels I could use, bearing in mind I won't have much depth to play with?

Thanks
Paul.

Sponsored Links
not sure what you mean by a soakaway in the middle of the patio?

A soakaway is normal a large hole underground filled with clean rubble or crates and water which is collected elsewhere from downpipes or gulleys then discharges into it via a drain pipe. but it all happens underground?

Hi
Thanks for the reply. My Dad called it a soakaway so i assumed it was right!

Its just a plastic grate with a hole underneath which looks like its about 30cm deep, maybe with plastic (?) sides. I'm just not sure how to extend it upwards if you know what i mean?

Ok, i think you mean a gully.

If its a modern type plastic one you may be able to find a riser for it.

If not then it really depends.

We'd probably need a picture to give any advice.

Sponsored Links
Bare in mind that a riser will be specific to each gulley type so a bottle gulley insert made by wavin will not usually fit a brett martin etc etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back