Soakers vs Leadwork

Simple question for starters - have you cleared all the crap out and re-assessed the problem? Lots of good advice here re the design but with half a garden in the valley there might be a simpler answer :)

Sponsored Links
Hi. Yes it's all cleared out, the parapet is re-rendered, and the tiles slightly tirmmed - made no difference water still coming through strongly. This wall has been leaking for many years it would seem, mostly centred down in that corner, and another bad patch at the roof line about 2 metres from the front of the house.

I am not able to get up there myself btw. So it's a question of what to say to the roofers when I ask them to fix it. I had 4 guys look at it last week and the feedback was added up into that list that I posted a little earlier.

An additional problem is that on the chimney stack we get seagulls nesting every year and it seems that part of the nests end up in the valley each year.

An additional problem is that on the chimney stack we get seagulls nesting every year and it seems that part of the nests end up in the valley each year.
Not trying to minimise the situation - but could the buildup be the root cause of the problem ? Either way you could get the stack bird proofed :idea:

I would love to minimise it. But, no that's not the problem - it was all cleared out and that job (re-rendering) done 1 month ago and we had heavy rain last week and it was coming through like a champ.

Sponsored Links
Any further thoughts on this anyone ? I still have to commission a roofer, and don't really know what to ask apart from redoing the flashings.

Perhaps someone could advise me on what could be done about the very end of the V ... what kind of leadwork is possible ? How could that tight area be improved ? Is it possible to weld a lead "bucket" in that area ... i.e. a watertight section of lead ?

Without actually being able to see the problem area in detail it's hard to tell.

For certain you want the flashing sorted on those tiles- there should be at least 100mm upstand then either stepped into the mortar beds or (since you can't see the brick courses thanks to the render) just chased in to 25mm depth (maybe 30, depends whether the parapet is half brick or full brick and how thick the render is). And seal the lead into the chase with Leadmate or similar, not mortar.

The rest of it- I still think the exit route for the water at the foot of that V is too small- if there's less than about 100mm square then you could be getting water backing up and overtopping the valley so I'd be looking to expand that exit route by any means possible. Welding a custom bucket in a fiddly space like that is going to be a very tricky job.

From your lack of response to hose tests I'm guessing that those pics were taken by someone else off a set of ladders and you can't actually see or get at that bit of roof? When you eventually get someone to actually go up and sort the job they may well find something completely unexpected.

So, you need to find yourself a competent roofer who isn't going to take the mick and be prepared for a reasonable sized bill. Explain the problems, show them the pictures and take it from there- if you pin them down to 'do this and do that' then they may assume that you've already diagnosed the cause. Just beware of snake oil salesmen- brick seals, foam under the tiles etc etc

Thanks. I have had at least 8 roofers look at it over 3 months, and I don't have a great deal of confidence in any of them. They all say different things.

There is a lead man hopefully coming this week, makes 9.

I will get the flashings redone. Not sure what to commission for the end of the V ... not sure what is possible.

I can't get up there, it's too dangerous, steep and high, and I have no safety harness. Photos were taken by a roofer.

I decided to get a recommended lead expert and he is going to reflash the bottom of the parapet wall and the narrow V area, and some repointing.

What he said was that the flashings need to be redone from half-way down and that in the corner it needs added protection because the water is probably overflowing there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back