Socket and Switch Heights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Is there any legislation / requirements governing the mounting heights of new electrical sockets and switches.

The ones in my house are all over the place as they have been added to and removed over the last 30 years by the previous owners! I am in the process of regularising them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Ta

Will

Sponsored Links
If it is an old house you are not obliged to follow the current rules for new build.

But if you are rewiring it would be good practice. If you are thinking of selling or renting out the house it will be an advantage.

The standard heights are so that a disabled person can easily reach them, even if in a wheelchair. However they also have the advantage that a tired householder with a bad back can use then when he get home from work, or gets old. They are also at a height where they will not get banged and cracked by hoovers and furniture, or clumsy people with heavy boots.

The recommended heights are min 450mm max 1200 mm from finished floor level. (about 18" or 4') and these are quite convenient for the able as well. So it is usual to put sockets at 450 and light switches at 1200. In a kitchen or workshop it is convenient to have sockets and appliance switches at 150mm above worktop height, and this is within the accepted range.

I believe the regs for new builds or total rebuilds specify 450mm and 1200mm. As the house is there already I would guess whatever looks good to you is OK.

I must say we had an extension built recently, and the 450mm sockets in there are much easier to reach to plug things in than the other sockets in the house, which are just above the skirting board.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back