Socket distance from Gas Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone
Had a Part P chap round - said sockets should be a metre from sink wants to move them.
I have checked on the NICEIC site - top ten questions - depends on circumstances recommended min 300mm.
I have a cooker switch 50mm from the hob he wants to blank that off - I can see the point in that but can't find any info on how far sockets should be from a gas hob - think he's got his eye on the other socket and wants to move that also!!!!!
Any help greatly appreciated.
By the way what is involved in blanking off a cooker switch (don't need it for a single oven)

Thanks
Granny

Sponsored Links
As a general recommendation BS 1363 accessories should be mounted above sink height at a horizontal distance of not less than 300mm from the edge of the sink top. so your ok there.
Re your cooker you say 50mm from the hob I assume your mean horizontal form the edge of the cooker, also does the cooker switch have a socket outlet as well?

I was of the understanding that if you fit a RCBO (An RCBO is a combination of an MCB and RCD. This enables both overcurrent protection and earth fault current protection by a single unit) there was no distance requirment when i comes to placing it near a sink, other than a little common sense maybe.

Yeah I know what your saying but If the sockets are acceessible to outdoor portable equipment (your flymo) they have to be RCD protected anyway. The recommendation I listed earlier comes straight out of Guidance note 1 " Sinks and electrical accessories" common sence really.

Sponsored Links
IIRC there is no guidance on the distance of a cooker switch from a hob, but common sense says you would need to operate it without reaching across the hob.
As long as your's is not directly behind the hob then I see no problem

BR guidance is 300mm from hobs & sink units.

When you said 50mm did you mean mm or cm??!

Hi
Yes securespark - cooker switch 50mm horizontally from the gas hob - outlet under worktop at back of oven - can see the reasoning behind getting rid of it it is a bit too close.
Don't need it anyway unless i can use the circuit to power the cooker hood - it sits over the vertical line of the cooker circuit in the wall.
I'd prefer to power the hood off the nearest double socket by converting one socket to a FCU but I would have to go horizontally and then vertically - don't think it is allowed unless I could go horizontally behind the steel back of the cooker hood - if I could then I would disconnect the cooker circuit at the consumer unit and I think that would be safe and O.K.
Thanks
g.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back