Socket for boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am currently trying to work out the best way forward with an overloaded ring main which trips in our tea shop. When I put a clamp meter on it shows 39A. When everything else but the steam boiler is unplugged it shows 14A. The ring main is from a 32A RCBO (consumer unit labelled red phase). I was wondering if it is OK to install a socket from another consumer unit (labelled blue phase) via a spare 16A mcb with an additional RCD to a CEEform socket to be located next to other sockets from the ring main? Only the steam boiler will have a CEEform plug on so is the only thing that can be plugged into the new socket.
Any advice appreciated,

Sponsored Links
sounds OK. BUT are you allowed to do the work? (public liability insurance etc, since its a commercial premises)

it seems reasonable to me

this sounds like a 3 phase install note that if you have sockets on different phases within reach of each other you need a danger 415V between sockets label.

using a ceeform seems like a good idea to make sure the steam boiler stays in that socket but they are rather big and ugly. i'd consider using a 15A BS546 myself.

also it doesn't sound like you are a sparky. this being a commercial premises there is the insurance issue that andrew2022 mentioned

Hi,
We will be having our local electric firm (NICEIC) do the work as it needs to be up to spec for the our insurance. I am now more certain on the way forward. Using a Ceeform seems to be the better idea as it is rated 16A, holds firmly in the socket and the spare mbc is 16A. I now know what to ask for when they come to do the estimate. Thanks for your time,

Sponsored Links
Is the boiler a fixed appliance, or likely to be moved??

A 16amp breaker feeding a 20amp switch may be chaeaper and neater option.

The boiler is not fixed and needs to be moved for cleaning. I am favouring Ceeform although I will let the electrician decide on the day.
Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back