Socket for my loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I want to put a power socket in my loft. Unfortunately the socket ring main goes nowhere near the loft. However, there is a fused spur going to the house alarm 'brain' in the airing cupboard.

My question is this. Can I take an additional spur off this fused spur without affecting the operation of the house alarm?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help.

Regards
Dave

Sponsored Links
Yes but both the alarm and the new socket must BOTH run through a "master" fused spur to prevent the combined load drawing more than 13 amps.

Withdrawing power to the house alarm should not cause problems if the battery is well maintained (changed 5 yearly)

You may find that the alarm is on its own 16A breaker. If so, then you can just wire your new cable into the FEED side of the alarm fcu and not worry about a 'master' fcu. You don't need to limit a 2.5mm cable to 13A.

Thanks for your replies sofar..

I have checked the fuse inside the spur and it is 5A. Will I have to insert a higher rated fuse as there will be a socket connected to it? I only intend to use the socket for lights/DIY tools/radio..

Thanks in advance again.

Dave

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about the fuse in the fcu. And definitely don't change it for a 13A. Look at your main fuse or breaker for the alarm circuit and find out what rating it is. They are often B16. This would do fine, as long as you connect your socket circuit to the FEED side of the fcu.

You will need RCD protection for the new socket. If the alarm circuit is not already protected, use an RCD socket.

If it IS already RCD protected by means of an RCBO, then you don't really want to start putting additional portable loads on the same circuit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back