Socket from a light switch

Sponsored Links
PGJG said:
Is it possible to run a socket from a light switch?

If you have to ask the question then you should not be doing ANYTHING electrical in your home.

OF COURSE IT IS NOT!!! sheesh!!

Thanks for the very quick answer. Its good to know there is someone out there keeping us all safe and stopping us ending up with hair like Don King.

Yes, of course you can run a socket from a light switch. That's the way to have a portable light running from a socket and switched from the wall.

But not 13A.

Use a round pin 5A socket so that no one can plug in a power appliance. You can get them from Screwfix.

A light switched socket must be incompatible with normal power sockets.

Sponsored Links
PG..hope you didn't take the post too personal, but to do what you asked would be extremely dangerous..and we couldn't have looking like Don King now could we :D

Stod said:
Yes, of course you can run a socket from a light switch. That's the way to have a portable light running from a socket and switched from the wall.

But not 13A.

Use a round pin 5A socket so that no one can plug in a power appliance. You can get them from Screwfix.

A light switched socket must be incompatible with normal power sockets.

Stod..he asked specifically about a Socket...not an outlet for a light.

And as there is likely no neutral at the switch, the answer is still a resounding NO!!

No, I didn't take it personal at all. Its best to be told straight.
The reason I was asking is a friend of mine is terrified of cats from being attacked by one as a child and she has bought an ultrasonic cat scarer which runs on a 9V battery. She is buying an adaptor from the manufacturer of this device which clips into the battery terminals and runs of the mains. She has a small boiler house at the back of her home with pump switches for the boiler and a light switch but no sockets. Thanks again for your help.

PG..the pump switch as you call it will likely be a Switched, fused spur.

It'll have a little holder in for a fuse and look like this;

K1040WHI.JPG

This will have a neutral in it. For what you want, you could take a SINGLE socket from this, on the FUSED side (LOAD) and plug the adapter into this.

FWL

Does this circuit meet your strict criteria for good design?

I mean, most CH systems run off a max of 3A. If you poach some of that for another appliance, is that OK?

Also, it may just be a normal switch, rather than an FCU. I have seen some systems where there is a 1 gang 1 way switch fitted to operate the pump.

Can you post a photo?

Simon, I understand your point, and checked the NICEIC Tech hand-book before posting, so long as the extra comes from the LOAD side, the spur rules actually do not apply. You just need to ensure that the FCU is fused to handle both loads, without being over-fused..if you see what I mean.

securespark said:
Jim,

Fair 'nough.

Like your updated sig. :LOL:

I thought it unfair to tar ALL plumber with the same brush, I do know a couple of decent ones :D

FWL_Engineer said:
PG..hope you didn't take the post too personal, but to do what you asked would be extremely dangerous..and we couldn't have looking like Don King now could we :D
I wouldn't mind looking like Don King if i had his money!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back