socket from fused switched spur

It definitely only has two cables, both connected to supply. It just seemed odd that it exists in a modern build home but doesn't appear to have any purpose.
One can but presume that it was either installed as 'provision' for something inthe future,or else whatever it was supplying has been removed.
Would it be possible to connect one dual gang twin power socket as a spur from the supply side of the FCU? You mentioned a single socket being possible in your earlier post but did you mean that literally as one single power socket?
Yes, as I said, you can have one 'socket' supplied as an unfused spur from the supply side. For better or for the worse, the regulations allow just one 'socket' - one single socket or one double socket (but not two single sockets) on an unfused spur.
I'd like the dual gang power sockets to not be controlled by the switch on the fused switched spur.
If you wanted more than one socket on a spur, it would have to be a fused spur. However, you could replace the current switched FCU with an unswitched one, to address the issue you have mentioned. You could then run as many sockets as you wanted fromthe load side of that FCU, with the total 13A load limit.

Kind Regards, John

Thanks for all the detail.
I only really require one more dual gang twin sockets as I think 4 plug sockets behind a TV ought to be enough.
Would another alternative be that the FCU could be changed for one dual gang twin socket?

Regards
Justin

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the detail. I only really require one more dual gang twin sockets as I think 4 plug sockets behind a TV ought to be enough. Would another alternative be that the FCU could be changed for one dual gang twin socket?
Yes, you could do that, provided that you can confirm that the FCU is wired as part of a sockets circuit.

Kind Regards, John

This was only intended to relocate the telephone wire so that the old telephone socket pattress position can be re-purposed as satellite connections.
Do you mean you just cut that channel to get the phone cable out - you aren't going to end up with a cable there?

This was only intended to relocate the telephone wire so that the old telephone socket pattress position can be re-purposed as satellite connections.
Do you mean you just cut that channel to get the phone cable out - you aren't going to end up with a cable there?

I just had to cut a little way out above the top of the old telephone socket to release the cable that had been caught up in the dot and dab. I was then hoping to take the telephone cable down the right channel and then horizontally across to the intended new position on the far left. As it seems that would not be compliant with regs I assume I can channel up vertically to the ceiling from both pattresses?

Regards
Justin

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back