fused spur or spur?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
guys, a fairly trivial one, but im just making sure im on the right track

I want to add an additional power socket to the ring mains, well two double sockets to be precise. I take it you are only allowed one spur per ring outlet, so was thinking of adding a fused spur instead to which I can connect as many sockets as I like, (2 doubles at the moment)

was thinking of extending from the initial socket using 2.5mm cable, in pvc conduit, into a 13A FCU, then continuing in the conduit to 2 x double 13A switched power sockets

once done, I'd like to connect a TV, an xbox 360 and a PS3 to the new power outlets.

Please advise if I am doing anything wrong.....

Sponsored Links
thanks buddy

i knew i was on the right path, wanted a professionals opinion

davy_owen_88 said:
A 13A FCU connected with 2.5mm² twin and earth to 2 double sockets will be fine for the expected load.

Davy

You could even run 2,5 to the spur, then 1,5 to the 13A protected sockets.

Sponsored Links
you can but i wouldn't, too much risk somone will change the arrangements later and decide to include those sockets in the ring.

i was thinking of 1.5mm to the sockets, i know it is in fact possible but to be on the safe side, will stick with 2.5.
cheers guys
appreciate the advice
(so it is true, there are indeed some decent people on this forum)

plugwash said:
you can but i wouldn't, too much risk somone will change the arrangements later and decide to include those sockets in the ring.

On that score, you'd better install 16mm² to the shower in case someone else fits a larger shower later.

You cannot allow for what others may do in the future, especially once you move house.

you cannot completely allow for that no, what i'm saying is few people know that you are allowed to go down to 1.5mm on a fused spur and so someone rearranging the cuircuit layout might reasonablly assume it was the same sized cable as the rest of the cuircuit.

plus you might want to rearange it yourself later say if the use of the space changes and a 13A fused spur is no longer enough.

and using 16mm cable for a shower is probablly quite a good idea given that the power rating of the things only seems to be going upwards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back