Socket Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, wonder if you all can help. I took our kitchen sockets off the wall for redecorating and when putting this socket back on I noticed a green and yellow wire loose. Should this be connected into the same terminal as the other yellow and green wire?

Final question, the screw in this socket is just turning and turning because the brass metal bit has has come away from the blue plastic bit (my fault for trying to use a drill to get the screw in). Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks v much.

Sponsored Links
Hi, wonder if you all can help. I took our kitchen sockets off the wall for redecorating and when putting this socket back on I noticed a green and yellow wire loose. Should this be connected into the same terminal as the other yellow and green wire?
Yes

Final question, the screw in this socket is just turning and turning because the brass metal bit has has come away from the blue plastic bit (my fault for trying to use a drill to get the screw in). Is there anything I can do to fix this?

That's a cavity wall fixing. You could buy another and try to swap parts, but they are held in with a sort of spring clip against the back of the plasterboard, you should be able to release the clips, pull out the old box, and clip in a new one. It doesn't matter if the old box gets damaged. When you handle the new box you will see how it works.

That's a cavity wall fixing. You could buy another and try to swap parts, but they are held in with a sort of spring clip against the back of the plasterboard, you should be able to release the clips, pull out the old box, and clip in a new one. It doesn't matter if the old box gets damaged. When you handle the new box you will see how it works.
Well it would have done before they tiled over it, some times the tags will come out but they would need the same make, the hole in tiles looks too small to fit a new box.

oh yes.

It's possible to use a long woodscrew that reaches right through the box and into the wall behind, but it would be tricky if there's nothing behind it but another plasterboard skin.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all of the advice. I managed to pop the tag out. Luckily there was a make and model number (BG 908) so I've ordered another one and hopefully I'll be able to easily pop the new tag in. If not I'll try the long wood screw technique.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back