Electrics in possible house

When buying a property, the estate agent is your enemy. They represent the vendor's interests only, and are primarily there to sell you any old tat at the highest price possible.
I completely agree with everything in your post except this. They are engaged by the vendor but they're representing their own interests which is to broker some kind of deal, which means sell you any old tat at whatever price they can get the vendor to accept!

Sponsored Links
I completely agree with everything in your post except this. They are engaged by the vendor but they're representing their own interests which is to broker some kind of deal, which means sell you any old tat at whatever price they can get the vendor to accept!

Depending on their fee structure. The last house I sold, it was in their interest to sell for as much as possible as their fee would drop dramatically otherwise.

Depending on their fee structure. The last house I sold, it was in their interest to sell for as much as possible as their fee would drop dramatically otherwise.
I tried that but there weren't interested at all.
Although how did you define "as much as possible"?

I tried that but there weren't interested at all.
Although how did you define "as much as possible"?

That was actually the scheme they ran, not something I suggested. IIRC, as much as possible was value the house, add a percentage, but accept anything above the original valuation. People felt like they got a discount, but actually didnt.

Sponsored Links
The agents may prefer to sell cheap and get their % quickly rather than make an effort to sell at a higher price. More effort and uncertainty about when / if they'll get paid.
When I sell my 1980's house I'm not going to be chipped for the cost of a rewire, etc. It will be sold as it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back