Socket Tester

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have come across a Martindale socket tester (RS 203-748) will this tell me if my sockets are safe? It says it will not detect an Earth- Neutral reverse.

Also I have a socket upstairs that sparks behind the switch when you switch the iron off, it doesnt spark if you pull the plug out. Is this just an old socket with the switcher wearing out? Or could the problem be with the wiring?

My wiring isnt new and does need replacing as there is no earth on the lighting circuit but until I save up for a wooden floor wreaking rewire I want to make things as safe as possible.

Ta.

Sponsored Links
theafore mentioned socket tester does do what it says on the tin, however other brands are available

Sponsored Links
con1_uk said:
I have come across a Martindale socket tester (RS 203-748) will this tell me if my sockets are safe?
no, it will detect some of the most common problems (and detect but misdiagnose some others). Its far better than no checking at all but far from a substitute for proper inspection and testing.

It says it will not detect an Earth- Neutral reverse.
you pretty much can't as they actually connect to the same place. The reason for keeping them seperate (or taking other special precuations) is to make it so that it takes at least two faults to make appliance cases life.

Also I have a socket upstairs that sparks behind the switch when you switch the iron off, it doesnt spark if you pull the plug out. Is this just an old socket with the switcher wearing out? Or could the problem be with the wiring?
almost certainly a knackared switch, probablly not actually that dangerous but i'd still err on the side of caution and replace the socket.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back