Socket without earth?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just an inquiry, a friend of mine posted this up on Facebook, noticed there isn't any earth? any reason to this and it should have, right?

Attachments

• tile.JPG
    tile.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 275
Sponsored Links
not sure I'm going to ask him, hopefully a reflection.

I suspect there is conduit in the wall cavity and the earth would be provided via that?

That mark on the cable could be a blob of emulsion.

Sponsored Links
Requires a lot more investigation. That socket has two sets of red and black wires. This means that either
1. It is part of a ring final, in which case where is the earth for the rest of teh ring??
or
2. It is a spur, with another spur coming from it. In which case
a) that is wrong
and
b) the spurred spur will also not have an earth.

SS may be right and
I suspect there is conduit in the wall cavity
and that socket has been repositioned some time in the past without the earth being provided.
Smells of a general handyman (or allied trade!) not knowing what they are doing.

It may if the outlet (spur or continuation of the radial, or whatever it is) is connected to the conduit, if indeed it is run in conduit.
... or, indeed, if it is part of a ring and there is an explicit earth conductor connected to that 'next' outlet.

However, as TTC has implied, there's no point in our speculating, because (as he said) some serious investigation (probably of the whole circuit) is definitely needed.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back