Socket working for only some appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a radial circuit socket that will only power standard lamps, televisions, radios etc but not a washing machine. There's nothing wrong with the washing machine, it will work in another radial circuit socket.

Can sockets only power certain wattage appliances? The washing machine is not tripping the MCB so it appears not to be overloading the system.

Sponsored Links
radialcircuits said:
I have a radial circuit socket that will only power standard lamps, televisions, radios etc but not a washing machine. There's nothing wrong with the washing machine, it will work in another radial circuit socket.

Can sockets only power certain wattage appliances? The washing machine is not tripping the MCB so it appears not to be overloading the system.

"The washing machine is not tripping the MCB so it appears not to be overloading the system."
And therefore....?
Are you having a problem? And what problem?
You're post is vague and obscure. What are you telling us (rewrite in clear english)? What are the problems? What are you trying to do?

"Can sockets only power certain wattage appliances?"
On a lighter note, yes: up to 13 amp (i.e. roughly 3200w).

Your problem reminds me of one I dealt with recently.
It's got to be the washer plug or the socket.
In my case it was the socket, the neutral terminal was wider than the neutral pin on the plug therefore there was either 'no contact' or ' intermittent contact', the gap being small, created a buzzing sound due to arcing.
It could be the pins on your plug are loose/ dirty
I would renew plug (50p) if not cured, renew socket (£2.50)
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back