Sockets at 90degrees

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Strange question... but is it allowed to mount standard plug sockets rotated at 90 degrees?

I've positioned a socket on a wall in a spot soon to be hidden behind a wall mounted TV, however i'm getting nervous that a long moulded TV plug (TV not yet purchased) might mean the lead is still visible.

Whilst the electricians are in i was thinking of asking them to mount the faceplate sideways?! :confused: It will only ever be used to plug in the wall mounted TV.

Sponsored Links
There's no reason why not. But if the back box is already in the wall, you could fit the socket upside down.

I have installed sockets just like that, even upside to accommodate the equipment being plugged in. It is allowed!

Sidewards yes I have done that when replacing sockets which had screws holes top and bottom with new with holes side to side.

But upside down is a problem. This was one cure when mounted on skirting and cable would be strained being pushed hard against the carpet. It's not the socket that has a problem but the plug where the top needs to be IP4X sides and bottom IP2X and the cable entry of a plug is quite often not to IP4X a 1mm wire can be poked into the hole for cable and access live parts.

Sponsored Links
A word of ( excessive ? ) caution. The cable grips and cable entry "protectors" in some moulded on plugs are designed for the cable to be straight where it leaves the plug. The cable leaving an upside down plug will be supporting it's own weight round a sharp bend where it leaves the plug. The strain on the individual conductors due to the sharp bend may affect the termination of conductor to pin inside the plug.

Whilst the electricians are in i was thinking of asking them to mount the faceplate sideways?!

Even better would be to get them to move it higher up...

Have you at least already mounted the bracket to see where the socket will actually be able to go (depending on the bracket).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back