Sockets circuit on one floor tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Done all of the unplugging and plugging of appliances several times to try and find which one is tripping the circuit out but to no avail. I am starting to think that there must be some fault on the ring causing it.

Last night I left the fridge and freezer plugged in and the circuit tripped. I have had them unplugged before when the circuit has also tripped so there is no fault that I can see with them. However, the fridge and freezer are on a spur so I took the front plate off and all looks good (no loose wires etc.) so I traced that back to a socket but it went to a junction box that had 4 cables entering or exiting. 2 of these went to double sockets, one for the fridge and freezer and one used on the worktop for small appliances. This one on the worktop had a further spur coming off it. it struck me as not right and I wondered if this was the source of an issue. I have attached pictures. Not touching it, for a start it's in the kitchen and I don't have part P but wanted to know some thoughts in any before calling in an electrician.

Elect 1.jpg
Elect 2.jpg

Sponsored Links
My first thought is water ingress, either outside lights/ sockets or a leak inside maybe onto a socket or hidden JB

I thought that also because there are historic run marks down the wall but there is nothing above the worktop to drain down, silicone sealant along the top of the work top, no liquid on the floor, no water exiting the back of the dishwasher that sits in front of the box and no lighting or sockets outside. We are also in a house that is upside down (lounge and kitchen etc on the first floor because we are on the side of a hill). It's a puzzle.

Sponsored Links
Ok here is a list of faults I have found causing random tripping, water ingress- socket under sink and leaky waste, CH pipe leaking onto underfloor JB, cable damage - screw through cooker cable under floor, choc block buried in wall, burnt neutral on shower, rodent damage, possible heat damage from open fire to cable in chimney surround, chafed neutral on socket box with missing grommet, food for thought it might lead you to the problem but without test gear (I assume) very difficult to pin down

Thanks all for the pointers, especially ban-all-sheds, which I thought was to the point if nothing else:). I will get an electrician in with testing equipment

I had a Mr Magoo moment, which EFLI pointed out, so I removed it to avoid confusing things.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back