Sockets in a garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just bought a new house and am tidying up the double garage to make it usable for more than just dumping boxes in.

Currently there is one 60w bulb hanging from the roof and as the lighting is really poor I have bought two 6ft fluorescent tubes. When I bought them I got some 1.5mm T&E to wire with but I had to get 50m as was smallest the place did whereas I only need maybe 10m tops.

As I also could do with two double sockets (sockets will mainly be used for things like charging rechargeable drill, powering an electric lawnmower or powering a cold water power washer and never all at the same time) can I use the 1.5mm cable for the sockets assuming each socket is independently cabled back to the distribution board or do I need to go and buy some 2.5mm?

Thanks
Jason

Sponsored Links
1.5mm T&E is rated at 20A if clipped direct/ref method C, providing there are no other de-ratings or voltage drop applied to the cable, it would be electrically safe to be protected by a 20A or 16A device.

The talk of using equipment outside you need RCD protection on this circuit at the very least.

Go to an electrical shop that Will sell cable by the foot/meter, it's not too late to take your drum of cable back to where you bought it from...

Sponsored Links
I had to get 50m as was smallest the place did whereas I only need maybe 10m tops.
Don't worry - it won't go off. You've just bought a house - you'll use more of it at some point.

can I use the 1.5mm cable for the sockets assuming each socket is independently cabled back to the distribution board or do I need to go and buy some 2.5mm?
Or even 4mm².

FYI - whatever size you use, new circuits are notifiable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back