What Size SWA?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I use 1.5mm SWA to power two outdoor sockets (for a lawnmower and a radio for example)? Or would this installation require 2.5mm SWA?

The total run from the RCD inside the house would be 14 metres.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can use 1.5mm² SWA for upto 20A if there are no derating fators to take into account, but it'd be better off on a 16A supply.

Personally I'd use 2.5mm to provide a 20A supply.

Sponsored Links
You're missing something.

"The Max current rating above is for XLPE insulated cables"

You can not use XPLE ratings when you are terminating into standard accesories.

Besides which you can't get a 23A circuit breaker. The next size down is 20A

i.e. a 20A supply.

I'm really beginning to think that whilst you think yu do, you really don't have enough knowledge to carry out the work you're proposing safely.

You are missing 3 things:

1) The fact that as it's XLPE cable it will have a higher capacity than PVC because it can run at 90°C.

2) The fact that you can't run it at 90°C unless everything else is rated for that temperature.

3) A great deal of knowledge which is essential if you are to DIY this. Please get an electrician.

Ah right, so what would the 2.5mm and 1.5mm cables be rated at? The same as the rating of twin earth and core (24a and 18a respectively)?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back