What size cable is needed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What size of 3 core SWA cable would be needed for three 150 watt Floodlights :?:

1.5mm Or 2.5mm :?:

(P.S. It has to be SWA, as the cable has to be buryed, along the side of the garden, from the shed, to the veg. patch)

Sponsored Links
it all depends on the distance and how much volt-drop slack there is in the current feed to the shed.

how long is the cable run? Voltage drop has to be taken into consideration.

I'd probably go for 2.5 in any case. that way I can add more floodlights later on if I want.

plugwash said:
it all depends on the distance and how much volt-drop slack there is in the current feed to the shed.

The feed to the shed is 6mm 3 core SWA on a 32amp breaker

& the distance to the floodlights is about 10m :?: (I will check the distance tonight)

Sponsored Links
The length of the shed feed is about 10m. (3m from CCU in house to hole in shed wall, & then 7m from hole in back shed wall, to Shed CCU by the shed door)

The length of the run, that will go from the shed to the floodlights is 27m in SWA 3 core.

So would 1.5m SWA be ok, or would it need to be 2.5mm SWA

Also I am going to have a piece of 4core SWA going from the shed to the side of the garden, which will be to fed the pond pump, & for the set of LV Garden lights, which will be going around the patio.

(I was going to use two of the 4 cores for each thing, So it would be: Two sets of Live & Neutral cores, and then use the Steel Armor as the Earth.)

The length of this cable would be about 20m from the shed to the top of the garden.

So would I need 1.5mm 4core SWA OR 2.5mm 4core SWA.

(P.S. I was going to use 4core SWA to power two things, because it will cut down on the no. of SWA's running up the garden from the shed. (There would be 4 SWA's running up the garden from the shed by using two pieces of 4core SWA, instead of ten pieces of SWA if I did not use two pieces of 4core SWA)

(The SWA's will be one 2.5mm 3 core SWA for a waterproof socket on the patio, one 1.5mm OR 2.5mm 3core SWA for three 150w Floodlights on the veg patch, one 1.5mm OR 2.5mm 4 core SWA for the the 3ft Fluro. in my little brother's playhouse, & for the set of LV Garden lights, which will be going down the side path, & one 1.5mm OR 2.5mm 4core SWA for the pond pump, & the other set of LV garden lights (which will be around the patio))

First off, have you notified your council about any of the notifiable work you've done or are planning?

Now to what you are doing here.
From the mpost I believe you want to

Install an SO on your patio. Why are you feeding this from your shed?
This would be a much easier job feeding from inside your house.

As for the restore your question, why are you so intent on complicating what you do? This has been mentioned in earllier posts.

Why don't you run the 3 spost and the playhouse light as a single circuit?
You may even be able to include the pump on this circuit, but worst case is 2 circuits.

Your proposed use of 4-core is mis-using the cable. It is not designed to supply 2 separate circuits. Think about the loads and how they affect your cable. This is not the first time you've asked about 4-core this way and the answer is not going to change. You can't use SWA as a substitute for conduit.

I've said a couple of times that you are not ready for the jobs you are undertaking. I don't know how far through your course you are, but suggest you raise your questions with your lecturers.

newspark_paul said:
From the post I believe you want to:

Install an SO on your patio. Why are you feeding this from your shed?
This would be a much easier job feeding from inside your house.

The shed is closer to the patio then the house.

newspark_paul said:
Why don't you run the 3 spost and the playhouse light as a single circuit?
You may even be able to include the pump on this circuit, but worst case is 2 circuits.

I was going to do it this way, so that, the indival things can be switched on or off seperatey from each other.

newspark_paul said:
Your proposed use of 4-core is mis-using the cable. It is not designed to supply 2 separate circuits. Think about the loads and how they affect your cable. This is not the first time you've asked about 4-core this way and the answer is not going to change.

What way can I do it then, so that the pond pump, the playlights & the two sets of LV lights, can have their own switches in the shed, so that they can be turned on or off seperatey from each other:?:

You have 4 separate loads, which you want to switch independently in your shed. Therefore, you have 4 circuits. If you don't understand why your proposal won't work, just ask.

Why have you not raised this at college?

newspark_paul said:
Why have you not raised this at college?

I don't think MDB goes to college if he can't calculate cable sizes.

He does however have a penchant for electrical DIY.

Having read all his posts, "one sandwich short of a picnic" springs to mind.

He has said he's a student, having mentioned working on a Starbreaker in the booth. I hope he takes some notice of the advice he's had or he could end up injured (or worse).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back