Sockets in a loft?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With things like WiFi CCTV cameras starting to advance I wondered if it’s worth getting the first floor ring extended up into the loft so if wanted, I could have CCTV cameras powered from my ring main.

I am thinking along the lines of.... Nest Cam Outdoor security cameras, netgear arlo cameras etc.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I've had a single spur into the loft for around 25 years. Powers a lead lamp or sometimes a vacuum cleaner. For your use a fused spur and several sockets would be useful.

Currently I have access to my first floor sockets (as I’m having rooms taken back to block and reboarded/skimmed) so wouldn’t it be best putting it on the ring rather than a fused spur? Just wondered which would be best. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
A dedicated radial serving the loft might be a better option.

With lofts where there is no window for natural light the provision of lighting has to be considered. If the lights in the loft are on the same MCB / RCD as the lights on the floor below then an accident in the loft that trips the MCB / RCD for the lights can leave you in total darkness and unable to safely find you way to the loft hatch.

In summer lofts can get very hot and electronic equipment operating in the loft may be degraded or damaged by that high ambient temperature.

I have one socket in my loft that has been there since we moved in in 1990. It powers our cctv although it did fry last year probably due to the heat. The replacement is now on an deliberately uninsulated part the loft floor where it is considerably cooler instead of high on a shelf.

If you are just running a cctv, couldn't that be powered off of the lighting circuit as long as the supply is clearly marked?

If the lights in the loft are on the same MCB / RCD as the lights on the floor below then an accident in the loft that trips the MCB / RCD for the lights can leave you in total darkness and unable to safely find you way to the loft hatch.
Emergency light.

If you are just running a cctv, couldn't that be powered off of the lighting circuit as long as the supply is clearly marked?

It is often used for that, and not a problem for a single TV amp, camera, etc. But the OP has somewhat larger plans
Nest Cam Outdoor security cameras, netgear arlo cameras etc.

A fused spur, or dedicated radial would be a better option while he has the opportunity to do it proper, like.

It is only you that appears to be offended.
I wouldn't use his word "offended", but I imagine that there are a good few of us who are sick of reading endless repetitions of the same "bee in the bonnet" comments from both him and yourself - whether about sockets on lighting circuits, transformers, nominal supply voltage, downlights, new-fangled alternatives to simple switches or whatever - as well, of course, comments from the two of you about each other.

Kind Regards, John

I put an unfused spur in, replacing and extention lead nailed to the wall that the previous owner left me.

It has been used for running a vacuum, but usually just the TV booster/distributor.

Lighting is off the lighting circuit, 17th ed board, so different RCD. Sorted. Space is huge but only used for storage.

Parents have the network switch and a NAS drive in the attic but you have to be careful with ambient temperature as said.

Daniel

Cool, thanks for your advice guys.
If I have a dedicated radial serving the loft, can this use 2.5mm T&E and supply multiple sockets up in the loft?

Depends on the installation method and protective device.

[sarcasm]You could use 1mm² and 6A MCB - but then some people might call it a lighting circuit and ban sockets on it.[/sarcasm]

Yes, you can use 2.5mm² and 20A MCB as long as it does not run through thermal insulation, although if it does then a 10A MCB will be adequate for your needs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back