sockets in a stud

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have just removed plaster from a wall in my house to insulate it properly from the inside. So far i have built a stud wall from 4x2cls timber and have been given some 50mm celotex sheets from a friend. Now on this wall is 2 double sockets of which i have just removed the plaster from the cables an boxes now im putting the sockets back in the new wall. How do i run the cable down the studs? Does it have to be a certain depth back from the front of the stud? my current space between front of stud and insulation is around 40mm any help would be great?

Sponsored Links
The cables have to be in safe zones (ie running vertically or horizontally to the socket). If they are in safe zones they can be any depth.

i have just removed plaster from a wall in my house to insulate it properly from the inside. So far i have built a stud wall from 4x2cls timber and have been given some 50mm celotex sheets from a friend.
Apologies if you did know this, but you do know to seal around the edges of the Celotex where it meets the studding?

How do i run the cable down the studs? Does it have to be a certain depth back from the front of the stud?

my current space between front of stud and insulation is around 40mm any help would be great?
So you will have wall-Celotex-40mm air gap-plasterboard?

I think cables in the air gap should be OK for current carrying capacity, but there may be discussion here about what installation method it equates to as they won't necessarily be touching the plasterboard.

Sponsored Links
The best way to do this type of wall is to use 75mm celotex with a 3" stud, and then front this with 1" celotex backed plasterboard, or 25mm celotex with plasterboard over the top. A vapour barier is very cheap, and easily fitted with staples, so is also a good idea (just below the plasterboard).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back