Sockets in our living room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Besides my lighting problems I am also replacing ALL the sockets in the room.

The walls currently have no plaster so I am going to fit 25mm deep boxes 450mm up the wall. The wall is to be "dot and dabbed".

The question is, do I have to run the cable from one socket to the next, under the floor. Can't I just tack it to the wall in places where the sockets are not far from each other?

Sponsored Links
running horizontally is good, as it is economical in labour and materials. If you run in oval conduit, then it is easy to cut into the run and add more outlets in the row later (this is also a good way to do kitchens, with the run above the worktop).

You will probably have sockets every 2 metres or so, making the route of the cable fairly obvious.

450mm up is great ;)

bobbler said:
The walls currently have no plaster so I am going to fit 25mm deep boxes 450mm up the wall.

Make life easier for the wiring to the sockets and use 35mm deep boxes,

Sponsored Links
Thanks to you all.

Why 450mm above the floor - because I thought that you had to?

If I use 35mm Boxes they will be thicker than the dot and dab will they not?

Do I need conduit when the wire will run at the back of the plasterboard?

Thanks for your helpful comments.

Bobbler

you havent got to use conduit, but one day, when you need to get at the cable, e.g if damaged or to add more sockets, you will be glad you did.

450mm is the latest minimum standard height in new build. in an old house you aren't oblged to folow it, but people are getting used to that height and will think lower looks odd.

Also, when you get old, fat, pregnant or have a bad back, you will find them easier to reach.

I think that it is a good height for sockets.

We had a extension built a couple of years ago and the builder put the sockets at between 400 and 450 and it works well.

It does make sense not to have to take the wire under the floor though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back