sockets over a sink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there a bit in the regulations (or the OSG) that says that you must not install socket outlets over a kitchen sink?
if so, please could someone direct me to it?

Sponsored Links
The guide is 300mm from sink or and drainer.
But that is a guide not a requirement.
I think you would be looking at environment and external conditions, then common sense applies

yes, common sense I quite agree, but I thought there was something in the regs about not being able to touch a socket if you had 1 hand in the sink..? perhaps I imagined it.
where in the guide is that 300mm mentioned?

Sponsored Links
There was I am told back in the era of the 14th Edition a reference to how close. At that time it had all the stuff now found in the on-site guide. As a result the older guys are often convinced it is against the regulations.

However with guards and other safety items one could in theory have a socket very close yet safe. Hair dressers clearly have hair driers plugged in very close and also items like waste disposal units also may be plugged in very close mine is about 6 inches from sink but since below it rather than above quite safe.

So now it uses words like suitable for the environment and following manufacturers recommendations. It was normal to have the kettle lead so it has to be unplugged in order to put kettle under the tap. But with cordless kettles that is not so much a problem plus the RCD will today likely protect.

This is where I find the complying with previous edition is a problem as earliest I have is 16th so I could not with hand on heart remember what was the requirements in 1961 so how can I really say it's OK as it complied with current regulations at time of fitting?

At one time earthing went really OTT and not a clue when this was.

Yes, now that I think of it, it was a wise old electrician that advised me of the hands rule.
thanks.

Regarding the earthing, I did a full rewire back in 2004 and I had a maroon coloured OSG. I recall there was rather a lot of earthing of just about everything you could possibly earth. Such as the requirement to earth a brass gate valve on an alkathene water supply line.

reading the new OSG (green coloured). the earth supplementary bonding rqrmts *seems* to be less stringent... are they? (eg, it looks like I wouldnt need to earth that brass gate valve on an otherwise plastic water pipe)

Less stringent perhaps with regard to requirements where there is RCD protection, otherwise safer.

No need to bond your gate valves or cutlery.

Regarding the earthing, I did a full rewire back in 2004 and I had a maroon coloured OSG. I recall there was rather a lot of earthing of just about everything you could possibly earth. Such as the requirement to earth a brass gate valve on an alkathene water supply line.
Unless you had the spoof version written by Mr Cockburn it wouldn't have had anything like that in it.

reading the new OSG (green coloured). the earth supplementary bonding rqrmts *seems* to be less stringent... are they? (eg, it looks like I wouldnt need to earth that brass gate valve on an otherwise plastic water pipe)
There was never a requirement to earth it.

I can't recall a maroon OSG...

And I'm just leafing through the 14th now.

The only dimension I can find (so far) is that sockets should be mounted a minimum of 6 inches from either the floor or the worktop.

... but I thought there was something in the regs about not being able to touch a socket if you had 1 hand in the sink..? perhaps I imagined it.
Were there any such rule or guideline then, given that most adults have a hand-to-hand span of at least 1500mm, that could probably preclude having any sockets at all in many of the minature apologies for a kitchen one sees, particularly in flats!

ISTR that there was a similar "can't touch both at once" (hence separation >1.5m) rule for sockets on different phases in the same room under earlier editions of the regs, but I think that's now gone.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back