Sockets switch tripping although no sockets switched on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My main sockets keep tripping, well in fact they have tripped and now the switch just trips instantly the moment I reset it. I have switched all sockets of and yet it still won't reset, I had a complete rewire done about 18 months ago so don't understand what is happening, any help.

Sponsored Links
You have a fault on your fixed wiring. This could be damp from a leak or mechanical damage from a rodent or recent DIY ?

So I guess the only way to get it sorted is get an electrician out.what does the repair involve? Thanks

Try unplugging everything, rather than just switching off, it could be a faulty appliance. Dont forget about any sockets that may me hidden, eg. fridge, dishwasher or boiler ect.

Sponsored Links
.what does the repair involve?

Something in your house. Lots to choose from.
Do you have any outside sockets/wiring?
Have you checked things like central heating pumps & valves?
Have you turned off averything and unplugged everything?

Once you have run over those then you'll need an electrcian who is competent in fault finding.

Oh, one last thing, you say
switch just trips instantly the moment I reset it.
What is this switch? is it in the consumer unit? Is it an MCB or an RCD or an RCBO?
what is written on it. ?

Physically disconnect everything from the circuit, IE : Unplug all the appliances. Next find any fused spurs that are running off the circuit and remove the fuses, or switch them off. If you had a recent rewire your distribution board should be marked up, so you can tell which circuit is effected, I am guessing it will be either kitchen, upstairs, or downstairs rings. If you do all of the above and the MCB still won't hold in, you need to call in the electrician who did the rewire, or another competant person.
If you do the above and your ring holds in you have to isolate which item is causing the problem, plug them in one at a time until it trips out, that is the faulty item.

It may be that your recent rewire has replaced your fuseboard with one that includes an RCD, (Residual Current Device) if this is the case the above is still true, but the whole board, or only the none lighting part of the board will trip out.
You need to disconnect / unplug everything as above, see if the RCD will then hold in, and re-connect / plug in everything one at a time until you find the item causing the problem.

CW.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back