Sockets up the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having a rewire. It appears many electricians do or do not know the regs. Some have told me the sockets on the wall have to be a about 0.5 metres from from floor level. Others say that only applies in new builds not in existing buildings. Would someone point to a link to the reg that says the sockets can be at skirting level in an existing building. Appreciated.

Sponsored Links
There is no restriction in existing buildings other than the plug cable should not be unduly stressed - squashed by being too low.

For new buildings, it comes under the Building Regulations and is intended to cater generally for people with restricted reach.
This obviously does not cater for short people who cannot reach up nor tall people who cannot bend; such is life.

Obviously if YOU were to have a bespoke house built for yourself, you can put them wherever you want.

Some unthinking people read something once and think that is all there is.

Having a rewire. It appears many electricians do or do not know the regs.
No - it is very important for you to realise that those who do not know them are not electricians - they are just telling you that they are in order to defraud you.

Some have told me the sockets on the wall have to be a about 0.5 metres from from floor level. Others say that only applies in new builds not in existing buildings.
Those in the first group are either idiots or liars. Or possibly both. Either way, have nothing to do with them. Feel free to be abusive to them when you tell them to get lost, and to tell them exactly why you don't want them anywhere near your house. They need to be told.

Would someone point to a link to the reg that says the sockets can be at skirting level in an existing building. Appreciated.
There isn't one.

But, crucially, nor is there one which says they may not be. Although if you do mean actually on the skirting, that might be too low, as it might force cables into too tight a bend, and also create a risk of clunky wall-warts getting kicked or knocked out. But having the bottom of the socket 150-200mm AFFL is fine.

Sponsored Links
Thanks to all. Interesting. I looked at the link and it does say 'recommend'. The bottom sockets are to about 1.5 inches be above the 6 inch skirting. They cables will not be restricted.

I see were you fellas are coming from. I find a problem is general builders who think they know all the regs of all services and how they are applied. It is all rule of thumb or 'we have always done it this way guv'. I know a few people who have have new bathroom with a new combi only to find it's the lowest, and cheapest, kilowatt job and only gives a trickle in the shower in the depths of winter when the water coming in from the street is just above freezing point. The builder is gone by then and never to return.

Yes, it does say recommends. But look closely at the approved document. It basically says that these are ways that the requirements of the various BUILDING REGULATIONS can complied with. They are not law. For instance, have you ever seen what the legal instrument ( law) says about electrical safety? (P1)
Here you are
//www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:part_p:Statutory-Instrument

That's it. That's all the law is.
The approved documents are guidance only.

The bottom sockets are to about 1.5 inches be above the 6 inch skirting.
That'll be fine.

But don't close your mind to having them higher - you soon get used to the appearance, and you don't have to be decrepit or disabled to welcome not having to reach down almost to floor level to get to sockets.

And higher level sockets are less likely to get hidden behind furniture. I carefully planned my rewire and I've got sockets in all the places I need -- but I can't reach any of them without moving something heavy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back