Sockets with integrated USB ports

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have several of these sockets, from LAP and BG, around the house, and do not normally unplug the USB cables from the socket when not in use. Is this likely to cause any issues or considered bad practice?

Sponsored Links
Unless the USB outlets have a switch, i.e. the power supply is off until a cable is inserted, or unless you are unable to stop tripping over them, leaving a cable in does no harm.

Unless the USB outlets have a switch, i.e. the power supply is off until a cable is inserted, or unless you are unable to stop tripping over them, leaving a cable in does no harm.

Bas, are you mellowing? :)

DS

Sponsored Links
It depends on how the USB power supply behaves when it is not supplying any power to a device. The available space in the socket requires that the power supply is a Switched Mode Power Supply ( SMPS ) An SMPS operates at high frequency and when operating below their minimum load they nay become unstable and produce higher than acceptable levels of radio frequency radiation that may interfere with other electronic equipment. If the USB lead is left plugged in with no load then the lead is likely to act as an aerial and increase the anpount of interefence radiating from the SMPS.

One would assume that the 5 volt USB lead is always safe to handle when left plugged in as it is not connected to the 230 volt pins.

WRONG.

some cheap SMPS do not provide isolation from the mains, the USB 0v is connected to the Neutral. Hopefully this is not the case in USB SMPS in 13 amp sockets.

if the 13 amp socket is damaged such as over heated then the isolation in the SMPS nay be compromised and the USB lead pulled up to a hazardous voltage.

I have an MK USB socket, mainly because Hager didn't make one at the time (which they do now) which I fully trust to leave a USB cable plugged into 24/7.

Would I even use a cheap Chinese one? Nope. Let alone leave it with a cable plugged in all the time

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of Brasher walking boots. I've owned that make before - long standing company, good products.

Except the 2nd part is no longer true. My pair have hardly any miles on them and the soles are coming away.

Guess where they are made?

A few weeks ago I bought a pair of Brasher walking boots. I've owned that make before - long standing company, good products.

Except the 2nd part is no longer true. My pair have hardly any miles on them and the soles are coming away.

Guess where they are made?

Mine were made in Portugal - they are about 4 years old and still in good condition. I guess they've switched to China?

If they were the same price as before, then it is Brasher who are ripping you off, not China.

I do think where they are made is irrelevant.

A huge number of things are now made in China.
Some are good and some are bad.

In previous times everything may have been made in Britain.
Some were good and some were bad.

It used to be that 'Made in Hong Kong' (when it was British) was a sign of cheap rubbish because only cheap rubbish was made there.
This is not the case with China. It is no different than anywhere else when choosing between quality.

I am unaware of any company who has switched manufacturing to China in order to increase the quality of their goods.

I am unaware of any company who has switched manufacturing to China in order to increase the quality of their goods.
Agreed

I had a pair of green Hunter wellington boots (so i look the part here in the Shires). They lasted 20 years.
I recently replaced them with another pair of Hunters. They split after 18months.
Manufacturing having moved from Scotland to China in the meantime.
https://secretscotland.wordpress.com/2008/05/04/hunter-wellies-wade-off-into-the-sunset/

Being unaware does not mean none has been able to do that because of the reduced cost.

My laptop was made in China.
It would, presumably, cost a lot more had it been made in the USA so perhaps it is better than it would have been.

I recently wanted some switches for my van with different coloured LED indicators.
On Amazon from UK they were (buying singly) £2.50 each and £9.00 postage to here. One of each of four colours £10.00 plus whatever postage.
Exactly the same from China, £6.90 for twenty (5 x 4 colours) and £1.90 postage.
(figures approximate as I don't seem to be able to access my record)
That may not be good for the planet but that's the way it is.
Would you like some at a fiver each and free postage?

I'm just saying not everything from China is rubbish.

TTC

Who do you blame for the poor quality? The company or China.

I'm just saying not everything from China is rubbish.
Quite so.

A high proportion of manufactured items I have bought in recent years, even if badged/branded by 'western' companies has been manufactured in China (or Korea etc.) and many of them appear to be far from rubbish. As you say, that now includes most IT, AV and other consumer electronics products, and a lot else as well.

In contrast, I've certainly had things manufactured 'in the west' which have been rubbish.

As always, tarring with a single brush is rarely justified.

Do you realise that a lot of medicines we use in the UK are now manufactured in India or other parts of Asia?

Kind Regards, John

An SMPS operates at high frequency and when operating below their minimum load they nay become unstable and produce higher than acceptable levels of radio frequency radiation that may interfere with other electronic equipment.

That only applies to those grotty SMPS used for halogen lights. All the USB and wall wort SMPS I have ever come across do not require a minimum load, or become unstable without it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back