Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In house 3 years
Grass at back
Water just lies on top of it.
How can I achieve a well drained lush grass like my granny used to have? :p

Sponsored Links
Easiest method is to buy Granny's house!

You need to find out why the water is collecting on your grass. You could have a very high water table (that is the normal depth at which water sits in the ground) in your area, in which case there's not a lot you can do about it. Or, you might just have bad drainage. This could be the case if you've a lot of clay in the soil. If this is the case there are a couple of methods of getting rid of the water. They both involve digging trenches in your garden and then putting either a layer of gravel in or perforated pipe before replacing the turf. The trenches should ideally be "herringboned" and the point should be at a lower level than the tips.

Water will always drain away to the lowest point so if your garden slopes at all it will be obvious where to aim your drainage. Just re-reading your post, you say that you've been in the house for three years. Did you buy your house from new? If so the ground could have been heavily compacted during the building work and it could benefit from being aerated (put lots of holes in it.)

It seems silly responding to such an old post, but I was looking through the archives, thought I could help and maybe you have the post set up so as you receive an email telling you that there was a reply to your post.

Basically, I remember hot summers running through the sprinkler in my parents back garden. I also remember the year that the garden benches began to sink into the garden and I didn't want to play out there anymore. By the following summer it was literally a bog. My dad is a builder and as such knows the right people in the right departments of the local authority and water company to make sure everything was checked and double checked with regards to the underground pipes. They were adement there wasn't a problem, whilst my Dad, digging two foot trenches in the garden, was adament there must be. FINALLY, after the fourth year of a boggy garden my dad paid a lot of money (couldn't sell the house in that state) for a surveyor to inform him that there was a large pipe running under the garden from the local milk factory, which had surprisingly sprung a leak. Within a year the garden was back to normal, insurance claim accepted and house on the market. Moral of the story which I use in all walks of life is not to listen, not to trust the experts and never give up! If something seems wrong - there is. Investigate, investigate, investigate.

Good luck!

Sponsored Links
Will adding sand to a heavily clay soil help the drainage? Could I just add a fair bit of sand,and airate the soil to help get the sand in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back