Sofa Spring Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya guys, happy xmas, over the festive period we decided it would be fun to powerbomb our 6yr old onto the sofa while playing wrestling, great fun was had by all but there was a crack under the sofa, the sofa is only a year old, and we cant replace it just yet, so I decided to have the bright idea to repair it myself.

Under the sofa is covered in fabric, that cheap netting type stuff, Being the pro I am I thought..nobody see under there, so I cut a flap/hatch out of it to see the problem area. Anyways....

The spring are held in place by U bracket type fixtures, these hold the spring into place with a metal notch, hopefully someone knows what I am on about, if not I can post pictures. From what I can see, the bracket hooks over the front wooden beam, and screws in. This part has snapped, the spring is 100% fine, the fixture is not. The problem is, the way the sofa is assembled Even if I could find where to buy this type of metal bracket thing, I can not fit it, as cant access the wooden beams front side without hacking the sofa to bits. Whats the best way to fit a spring to the sofa, so its the same height and tension as the others? For now I have simply screwed the spring with the half of the U bracket into the wood to hold it in place, but its lower than other springs, and when sat on the sofa you lean in slightly plus I dont think it is sturdy as it should be. Will leave it at that for now, but will post some pictures in next couple of hours showing whats what.

Sponsored Links
picture please
my thoughts are an additional bit off wood on the inside trapping the bracket/spring in place or a point to anchor the spring/bracket to but a few mm lower so its not a hard point on your bum

my thoughts so far is a flat metal bar screwed into existing timber - into which you'd bolt the bracket that holds the spring...

But agreed, a photo would help no end !!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back