Soffit and Facia around garage door? Basic how to?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone.

I've just fitted an electric roller shutter door to my garage to replace the old up and over. Now I haven't actually removed the old up and over door yet (the two doors can open and close independently of each other).

In order to maximise head height under the lintel, I've fitted the roller door on the inside wall of the door frame. The original up and over sits within the door frame.

When I remove the old up and over door and the wooden frame around it, it is going to expose the end of the internal and external blockwork. In other words, you'll be looking at the end of the inner thermolite block, the outer brickwork and the cavity between the two layers.

On the upper face of the door aperture (if you look up) you'll be looking at the perforated steel catnic lintel.

I obviously want to cover this aperture to neaten it up and to keep the cavity dry - but I don't know how to do it.

I'm assuming I use a uPVC facia board or soffit. But I don't know whether to cover the ends of both types of block/brickwork and the cavity with a single uPVC piece, or whether to just cover the thermolite and to leave the brick exposed. I also don't know how these things are fastened to the wall or if I should cover the steel lintel too.

There is very little information online that I can see, so would welcome any pointers on materials and techniques.

I've attached a couple of pictures, in the second one - if you look above the wooden frame, you can just see the red brick-to-cavity-to thermolite block (white painted) transition that will be exposed when I remove the old door frame.

Thank you very much.

IMG_0807 - Copy.jpg IMG_0808 - Copy.jpg

Sponsored Links
It does not look like you have much room to allow for any cover board - ie it may need to be stuck on tight with a suitable panel adhesive (Gripfil or suchlike) and so will rely in the jamb being nice and flat. Possibly two screws top middle and bottom. The problem is getting the board not to look wavy.

Use a fascia board, I'd suggest white will look crap, but a black ash(?) to match the roller door may be better. Trim the angle return just past the DPC and on to the outer brick 20mm or so to hide the joint. You could probably use a flat board but then you'll need to deal with the exposed edge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back