Soffit and Fascia replacement - replace or over clad?

Computer keyboards are mostly ABS, but PVC is a particularly nasty material that amongst its problems, it forms dioxins when burnt.

The worst bit about linseed oil paints is the pigments, some not too nice things used for some colours.

Sponsored Links
k2kris said:
"PVC is a b****y environmental disaster" - slightly strong & exagerated?!

If you add together all the factors this is not necessarily true. Research undertaken in the EU & also extensivly in Japan has suggested that when used appropriatly it can have environmental benefits over lifecycle of the property being inescess of 50 years,..............

Admittadly I refuse to specifiy PVCu below ground now, prefering to use clay pipes as an alternative that is well documented. I agree there are alternatives that I would prefer to use timber from sustainable sources.

I don't think it's that exaggerated, kris, this . is one of many less-vested-interest reports. Good to see you are using clay pipes though.

I'm speechless.

However, my question still remains. Overclad or replace? Clearly replace costs more, but what are the advantages of overlcadding to replacing?

Many thanks.

The advantages of overcladding are:

1) It's cheaper........er, that's it.

Sponsored Links
Replace everytime, overclad is a compromise. Also possible environmental issues notwithstanding, PVC soffits and facias, look fine on modern houses, granted they look pants on a period house, as does most PVCu double glazing. But frankly I've got better things to do than paint the outside of the house.

.............frankly I've got better things to do than paint the outside of the house.

With linseed paint it needs a coat of oil after 7 years, then a coat of paint in another 7. I'd say this is not excessive work, and you could have something other than boring white.

oilman said:
.............frankly I've got better things to do than paint the outside of the house.

With linseed paint it needs a coat of oil after 7 years, then a coat of paint in another 7. I'd say this is not excessive work, and you could have something other than boring white.

It is when you don't own a suitable ladder !

Eddie M said:
oilman said:

It is when you don't own a suitable ladder !

Then you may have trouble overcladding/replacing it.

Many thank oilman and Eddie M. I never known anybody to overclad, hence my question. The wood is in good condition, however if not being replaced it would need a good rub down and paint and without a ladder and me not likely heights cladding seems the better option, as we have moved into the house and will be staying for a good few years.

Given also when the windows were replaced to DG I found that the soffits were just pieces of hardboard that were wedged in the raffets and windows and came away when the windows were taken out - I think it would be better to replace.

Now I know you get what you pay for, but what questions should i ask about the cladding? colour fast? make? vented? etc.?

Many thanks

Don't use pvc. Hire a tower in the summer and scrape off the existing paint, then use linseed paints to recoat. You could use Dulux weathershield, but the procedures you have to go through will make it a right chore.

Towers are fine to work on compared to ladders.

rodneyja59 said:
I'm speechless.

However, my question still remains. Overclad or replace? Clearly replace costs more, but what are the advantages of overlcadding to replacing?

Many thanks.

Replace, If its done properly that is. Overcladding can in fact sweat the wood underneath if not properly vented.

We undertake insurance work where the homeowner has made a claim that the overcladded fascia has rotted the wood underneath mainly due to no eaves protection being installed. :cry:

Avoid firms that say "we will cut out the rot" thats the biggest load of *******s ever!

Matt :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back