Soffit grommet ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a cable with pre-terminated plugs on either end ....

This needs to be fed vertical up through a soffit, it would be nice to get some form of grommet/bulkhead seal, to seal the hole and around the cable, rather than using silicone.

The plug that has to go through is 22mm in diameter - so that is clearance needed ...... once it is passed through the 'grommet' only has to seal around the cable ... which is 7mm diameter.
It's passing through 6mm plywood, I have seen a few back entry grommets, but they expect to be used on socket boxes ... 2-3mm thick

Any suggestions ?

Doesn't need to be IP65 or similar, just to neaten the hole and prevent rain from blowing up into soffit.

Sponsored Links
Yes have access both sides ...
Unfortunately 22mm glands only allow a diameter of up to 12mm and the plug is 22mm
Even 25mm glands will only pass through 18mm cable.

Maybe I'll just have to adapt a SWA gland PVC shroud, unless someone has something better.

Sponsored Links
Split cable glands are definately a thing you can buy. I haven't used them myself though.

For example I found https://www.icotek.com/en-gb/products/cable-glands/qvt a system of splittable glands that comes in various sizes (you would want the 25mm I guess) with inserts for various sizes of cable. The thread is apparently 13mm long so that should be plenty for your plywood,

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back