Soft close doors.

• Thread starter david and julie
  • Start date
D

david and julie

I am hoping someone can tell me the name of or maybe point in me in the right direction for a sliding/pocket door lock mechanism.

I have seen one in operation that was soft close and also held the door in the open or "in" position. To close the door you pushed it further into its opening and this enabled the door to spring back out a few inches, enabling you to get hold of the door to slide it shut. I think they have a gas strut or damper arrangement.

Bit like a CD or ashtray slot on a car in operation.

Sorry for the hopeless description, I just don't know what they are called!!!

Sponsored Links
not 100% sure what you mean but I once did a job for someone that required drawers full of CD's with no handles or visible means of opening. I bought some spring fittings that fixed to the back of the unit and the drawers closed onto them. when you wanted to open the drawers you pushed them in and they sprung out a couple of inches. the drawers were very heavy when full and yet the springs worked fine.

If your doors are sliding into a recess I guess that these would work fine to make them spring back out again but they would not actually hold them in position when they are open.

The action of the spring (which is adjustable) is a bit like the top of a biro, you push it once and it stays in, you push it again and it springs out.

If this sounds of any use post back and I'll have a look at work to find out where I got them, or I may have a couple left over you can have.

Thanks for that Peter.

Yes that is what I had in mind and your Biro definition sums it up very well.

The door is for the bedroom on my boat, a conventional door and frame takes up quite a bit of width and gets in the way, so I have built a pocket type door which slides between the bath/bedroom walls.

It actually slides on the heavy duty roller bearing type drawer runners as I am restricted on height for sliding door gear. Works really well except for getting hold of the thing when its open(between the walls).

Your spring loaded arrangement sounds like just what I need and I would be grateful if you could kindly root out any more info for me.

Thanks and regards, Dave.

Sponsored Links
Found it: it's a flexa-touch drawer latch.

http://www.hafele.co.uk/Hafele35a1/Templates/Hafele/Default.asp

stock code is 245.52.403

Don't call Hafele as they will want to sell you about 50, try fixfirm fittings on 01522 737373. I'm sure you will only need 1 for a standard door, the springs are pretty strong. If fixfirm can't sort you out email me, I have one you can have.

Thanks very much for your replies and especially Peter for your very kind offer.

Apparently they sell them at Howdens (according to a joiner friend) there is a branch locally so I will pop in on Monday.

Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back