1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Soft closers for internal doors?

Discussion in 'Wood / Woodwork / Carpentry' started by cjard, 6 Apr 2019.

1. cjard

cjard

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    the pan drawers in the kitchen are soft close self close thanks to a mechanism that looks like this:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/hafele-soft-close-mechanism-for-roller-runners/3181J

A plastic bogey travels along an L shaped slot as the drawer is pulled open then flicks out of the way as the end of the L is reached. When closing the bogey flicks back, captures the activating finger tab and travels back to the closed position using a spring-damper arrangement that means the drawer self closes softly when it reaches circa 4 inches open

I'm wondering if a similar thing exists for internal doors? Something that will catch and close in the last few inches of ajar, but isn't one of those big, ugly overhead force closers/jamb based chain closers that pull closed all the time - I'd like to be able to leave doors open and only have them activate a self close when nearly closed. I'd prefer something cheap (like that drawer runner) and easy to hide

2. EddieM

EddieM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Perko make a range, aint cheap though.

3. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You can get kitchen door piston style closes that only act on the last 20mm of closing , for large kitchen doors 2.2m Use two or three but there are some with varying weight capacities .

4. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I have been thinking to look into something like that, to stop SWMBO from slamming kitchen drawers shut. The original drawers were just plastic sided/ hardboard base and they soon fell apart with the weight and abuse. I replaced the drawers with steel sided, ply bottomed ones which included new side runners. These have stood the test of time well. The runners have a final slope, so the drawer is pulled closed for the last 1/2"

How would these Hafele runners fit in with the above?

5. EddieM

EddieM

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    do you mean kitchen doors or room dividing doors?? Kitchen cabinet doors, Blum do a range of soft closers.

Last edited: 6 Apr 2019
  6. opps

opps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  7. cjard

cjard

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Kitchen cabinet doors are already soft close

I mean for the doors that divide rooms. My pull out larder probably weighs the same as my internal room door, and the larder has a soft close self close similar to the drawer closer

Perhaps though trying to do it in one mechanism is trickier than eg having self close hinges with a flat part so a door can stay ajar, and a piston soft close in the jamb

Last edited: 7 Apr 2019
  8. cjard

cjard

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom

Last edited: 7 Apr 2019
  9. cjard

cjard

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Make sure you get the right mechanism; some of these things are only for metal drawers, others only for wooden ones. Might be simplest to replace your runners with soft closing ones

https://www.eurofitdirect.co.uk/products/ball-bearing-45kg-soft-close-drawer-slide-46x400mm-ext-100

But to use the screwfix ones is just a question of alignment; they come with fitting instructions and I describe how they work in the original post. Buy one and have a play with it, it should become apparent pretty quickly how they work. The critical part is a plastic finger that pulls the mechanism open, attached to the drawer, while the mechanism itself is attached to the cabinet

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. magicmushroom666

magicmushroom666

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
  11. foxhole

foxhole

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom