Soft Sheen finish vaguely stripy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have used two coats of Dulux Soft Sheen emulsion on a wall, and the (dark) colour is very solid, However, when the sheen is visible (at the right angle) the effect is vaguely stripy. Is there a reason why this has happened, and is there a simple remedy?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying:)

Too heavy handed? I don't know?

I bought the paint from Homebase, 8th September 2019. The base (EXTRA DEEP) had solidified around the lid when the assistant first opened it to mix the colour. As a result, I had to pick off quite a lot of tiny white solidified bits from the wall. Not a particular problem, but the paint also went on extremely 'bubbly', so I had to roller over it many times to 'flatten' them out. I had to press quite hard. Maybe that caused the non-uniform sheen.

But the non-uniform sheen aspect was something I didn't notice on the first coat, but it irks to see it on the second coat.

Could the paint (base) have been too old when sold to me (solid bits of base in the mix, bubbly application)?

Is there a simple remedy? Could I 'polish' it?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your continued interest. I used medium length pile rollers made by Harris.

I have an update. I contacted AkzoNobel Technical Advice and Support with my description of the problems I had. They said that the paint appeared to been contaminated in storage from the weather or air getting into the tin. They asked for both the bar and batch codes off the tin.

I sent them the data, and some photos of the finish.

The upshot is that the tin of paint was manufactured in 2016, and sold to me as new on 8th September 2019 by Homebase, Oxford. AkzoNobel said that they would not expect paint of that age to be sold. Without my asking, they sent me a voucher for a replacement tin:)

So far, Oxfordshire Trading Standards will not even look at the issue, and Citizen's Advice have failed to respond:(

I got a replacement tin from a Dulux Decorator Centre, and will have a go at Homebase later...

I haven't yet started on what will be the third(!) coat!

I complained to Dulux after buying same colour in standard Matt and washable Matt only to find a big difference in the colour . Sent me a voucher for a couple of new tins .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back