Softwood cladding on face of frontdoor - question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I have a hardwood front door in which the previous owner had a poorly installed catflap which I want to remove. I was thinking of covering the lower half of the door with 6mm softwood cladding with a softwood beading around the edge. Possibly mounted on a 3mm ply though I would rather keep things as low profile as possible. My question is, if I paint the door with a gloss, being the softwood is thin, should I treat the softwood with a garden wood preserve first? Will this effect the undercoat and gloss or is it just not necessary? Also, I was going to stick the cladding on with no-nails. Is this okay? Should I put some sort of sealant around the edge like an external caulk? If so, what sort of sealant is best?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
its never going to look good or last more than a few years
if you have ruled out the new door option then replacing the effected panel assuming its a paneled door is the best option
do you have a picture please

Agree with above, a 9mm external ply sheet trimmed with a beading to hide its addition would be a stronger repair [with cat lap hole filled with more ply].

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. A new door is too expensive hence the option mentioned. Its hardwood and previously varnished which is flaking off so has to be stripped back anyway. I had hoped that a good undercoat and oil gloss topcoat would be okay. I will try and get a photo up.
Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back