Wood cladding: installing new doors/windows advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Have found great advice on these forums without having to ask any questions before but now the time has come for me to finally be stumped and have to ask :)

I have a brick built outhouse which I am going to sort out to be used as a gym. It does have damp proof membrane in the floor but it does not have any insulation or any windows/doors which would hold in any heat at all (metal framed thin plane glass windows and thin wooden doors full of holes).

I'm going to put most probably treated softwood shiplap cladding around the outhouse (as I can get the colour to match all the decking) which would also involve requiring battens of 50mm with 50mm foil backed insulation board, a breathable damp proof membane and then another 25mm batten for the air gap before I install the cladding. So that's 75mm + depth of cladding added to the structure.

The question I really have is about the doors and windows that I'm replacing.

For aesthetic purposes, if I install the new doors and windows in the brick, they're going to be nowhere near in line with the cladding. What I want to do is make it more flush.

Is anyone aware of any issues if I were to secure the new doors and windows to the battens/new timber frame around the door so to make them more inline with the cladding rather than into the brickwork?

As the brickwork is pretty old and not very straight in places, I think installing to a new frame would be easier too as I'd make sure the frame is 100% straight.

Any help/advice would greatly be appreciated... also if anyone knows of any company that they have bought good windows/doors from made to measure, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back