Softwood flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am now looking into laying a floating floor over my existing floorboards which can not be restored.

I am planning to use simple tonge and groove softwood pine floor boards, from the local timber merchant, which have a nice planed finish.

However when costing the job up, this seems to be very cheap, as the floor boards are dirt cheap.

Has anybody used normal floorboards to create a decorative floor, and are they any good.

Are there any problems I have not thought of ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Sponsored Links
softwood floorboards will mark easily and may be more prone to splinter.
also they will stain easily unless sufficiently varnished.

I have also been looking a a solid pine floor, which looks a little more hardy.

Would this be a better finish ?

Hi,

I am now looking into laying a floating floor over my existing floorboards which can not be restored.

I am planning to use simple tonge and groove softwood pine floor boards, from the local timber merchant, which have a nice planed finish.

However when costing the job up, this seems to be very cheap, as the floor boards are dirt cheap.

Has anybody used normal floorboards to create a decorative floor, and are they any good.

Are there any problems I have not thought of ?

Thanks for your thoughts.

What did you do in the end? Thanks

Sponsored Links
It was seven years ago and I don't recall seeing any posts from that name in recent years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back