Soil and (eventually) grass on concrete?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've had a garage demolished but three of the walls remain due to needing to keep some hills at bay....
The structural engineer insisted that we keep the foundation slab 60cm inside each of the walls.

Other than that 60cm, the slab from the inside of the garage has gone and we'll be bringing soil into to (eventually) turn it to grass.

What about the 60cm inner ring at the walls, tho? If I put soil on top of that will grass grow? How deep do you think the soil needs to go on top of the concrete (which will have a bearing on the depth/height of soil we'll need to buy for the inner parts)?

Ta

Sponsored Links
I can't see anything growing successfully on top of concrete unless you can find a way to provide drainage otherwise its just going to get waterlogged and smelly.

Grass is resiliant as long as there is somewhere for the water to go it will grow in as little as 4 inches of topsoil.

The problem comes with drainage as ceres says. If the centre of the slab is going to be removed then i'd not be too concerned. The one problem you may encounter is the grass drying out differently leaving patches of slightly different colouring.

Thanks chaps.

I'm not so much of a perfectionist that differences in colour would offend me.

So, sounds like a depth of 4" on top of the concrete? With 60cm breadth leading to the inner soil, that sounds doable. The only challenge will be getting 4" on the skirt, plus same again on the inner.
8" depth x square footage is going to be a lot of soil!

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back