Soil pipe and toilet plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a builder in to put in a soil pipe for an under stair cloakroom. They ran the soil pipe from the under stair cloakroom, under the concrete kitchen floor, and straight out to the drains/sewer where the man hole (about 5 metres in length) is in the back garden. The soil pipe is only for the toilet waste.

Here's a picture of the soil pipe bend that I'll connect to the toilet.
View media item 53093
The builder left the pipe as shown, is it good practice to put some silicone grease on the joints? Will push fit connectors be OK just pushed together or should I add some silicone to ensure no water leaks out?

I'm also probably going to add a rat trap in the soil pipe from the toilet to prevent rats entering via the sewer system as the soil pipe is a short gentle slope from the outside. Any thoughts on this?

Any advice is much appreciated as this is all new to me.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
A standard 90 degree pan connector should fit in the top and connect to your toilet pan. You can put some grease on to make life easier for yourself but there shouldn't be any leaks anyway. Normally, just a little water will help. If that's a fixed coupling on the top, you might need a small length of soil pipe in there first.

No thoughts on a rat trap I'm afraid except I'm not sure how you are going to keep on adding the cheese :LOL:

A bit of silicone grease on the seals to ease assembly should be all that's needed. No need for sealant.

A short gentle slope to the outside is how most soil stacks are installed, and rodent ingress isn't usually a problem.
Rodents may become a problem if the integrity of the floor/oversite around the pipe where it enters the building has been compromised, leaving voids to accomodate our furry friends.

Sponsored Links
A standard 90 degree pan connector should fit in the top and connect to your toilet pan. You can put some grease on to make life easier for yourself but there shouldn't be any leaks anyway. Normally, just a little water will help. If that's a fixed coupling on the top, you might need a small length of soil pipe in there first.

No thoughts on a rat trap I'm afraid except I'm not sure how you are going to keep on adding the cheese :LOL:

:LOL: nice one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back